Japanese-only BN covers (King, etc...)

Rooster_Ties

Hmmm.... I wouldn't want to go as far as to say that I think brownie is necessarily wrong, but I myself have never seen a Japanese BN with an LT-like (big white border) cover. As for all Japanese issues having Reid Milesish artwork, no, definitely not. There was variety- from actual Reid Miles/Francis Wolff recycled covers to the aforementioned Andy Warhol-like artwork on SOLID and the rest of those Grant Green albums.

Rooster, try to get ahold of that Blue Note 2 book. Seeing all those Grant Green covers together (5 are shown on pages 100 and 101) is pretty cool.

Brad,

My pleasure. Sometimes you discover the coolest sites when Googlin'. B)

Edited by Jim R

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another dumb question, unrelated, but how the heck do you animate covers and what software would I need?

it was shortly discussed in the animated album covers thread. Both Africa_Jeff and I use Adobe Photoshop w/ Image Ready (comes with the package). As for how: you need an idea first and then a lot of patience to work it out. That can be a real hassle sometimes. Some PShop skills are welcome of course.

Once again, I piss in the wind and rise to sing the praises of the LT-series covers.

I think that by and large, they were quite effective at evoking a mood, and they did so under what were obviously extreme budgetary constaints. Did not the original BN covers accomplish the same thing under similar circumstances? I think these covers are for the most part pretty cool on their own terms.

Granted, they in no way resmble the style of the sacred Lion-Wolff-Miles era, but there are enough other instances of God shitting on us to prove that he hates us and wants us all to suffer unspeakably vile miseries that I don't let it ruin my day...

Once again, I piss in the wind and rise to sing the praises of the LT-series covers.

I think that by and large, they were quite effective at evoking a mood, and they did so under what were obviously extreme budgetary constaints. Did not the original BN covers accomplish the same thing under similar circumstances? I think these covers are for the most part pretty cool on their own terms.

I agree. I forget what I said earlier in this thread (I'm on page two now, and going back to page one to look would take about 45 minutes on my slowass system), but I DO agree. I think I prefer most (not all) of the Japanese artwork, but that doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with the LT's. SOLID was.... um.... solid, and I remember really digging Jimmy Smith's COOL BLUES LT cover, for example. Even if they had sucked, there would still be (for me) the sentimentality factor. You just don't forget stumbling onto a great BN session for the FIRST TIME ever- especially if you got a good price... which I always did. :g

• 2 months later...

Well, I just tried some image searches, and not only did I not find the Japanese cover for SOLID, I didn't find the LT cover with the billiard balls.

However, check this out (not a lot of images, but lots of discographical data on Toshiba, King, etc, LP issues! :tup

Japanese LP data pages

I have this particular 'Solid' LP. It's on GXK-8187 and cover is in murky green with a line drawing of Grant plus fretboard. Sort of similar to the 'Oleo', 'Matador' and 'Goodens Corner LPs on this series.

Anyone got any thoughts as to what the music on Burrell's 'Freedom' is like?

I once posted a full review of it on the BN board... wish I'd saved it. It's an excellent session.

Seldon Powell (bars, fl) Hank Jones (p, org) Kenny Burrell (g) Milt Hinton (B) Osie Johnson (d)

VGS, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, March 27, 1963

tk 13 The Good Life

tk 21 Stairway to the Stars

tk 27 Loie

VGS, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, April 2, 1963

tk 35 I Hadn't Anyone 'Til You

Stanley Turrentine (ts) Herbie Hancock (p) Kenny Burrell (g) Ben Tucker (B) Bill English (d) Ray Barretto (cga)

VGS, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, October 22, 1964

1449 tk 2 Love, Your Spell Is Everywhere

1450 tk 20 Freedom

1451 tk 25 Lonesome Road

1452 tk 31 G Minor Bash

1453 tk 42 K Twist

The '64 session would have had a similar sound to MIDNIGHT BLUE, except that Hancock was on board. Herbie gives these tracks an added dimension- and extra zip. Overall, I like FREEDOM quite a bit more than MIDNIGHT BLUE, for the variety of personnel as well as the variety of material. It should have been released on CD YEARS AGO. :angry::(<_<

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

If you click on that last thumbnail pic I uploaded, can you actually read what it says?  When I do so, the size remains the same.  Is this just a function of my system?

It blows up to a 476x480 77Kb pic that sez I only have eye for Shu.

dunno what's up if it stays the same size for you...