Have you ever robbed a bank?

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No.

About twenty-seven years ago a bank gave me three hundred extra dollars in cashing a paycheck. I didn't realize it til I got home. I have to admit I debated about thirty seconds before getting back in the car and going back to the bank where the teller looked incredibly relieved and said "I NEVER would have been able to tell where that money went!"

Now if I had known THAT I would probably have deliberated longer before returning to the bank. . . . Am I a bad person? :wacko:

No. But I've had the opportunity to take money from an ATM before.

About 10 years ago, I approached an ATM just as a guy was walking off.

As I went to put my card in the slot, the screen was asking if I required another service. I hesitated thinking, "God, have I just out my card and typed in the number or am I daft holding this other card in my hand...???"

I obviously realised what had happened, it was only seconds really, but I turned to see the guy getting in his car and driving off.

Now I could have just pressed YES and made off with the ATM withdrawl limit (balance permitting). Of course I didn't and when I took the card into the branch and explained to the counter assistant, I got a brusk "Thanks", that was it. She actually said it whilst turning away from me. I didn't expect her to go overboard but when I mentioned this to the manager she was a bit more interested and said she would try to illustrate, to her employee, just how important things are like this when it comes to customers fretting over money missing from their accounts.

I chose option 3, to pay for all my jazz sets (mosaic, fantasy, verve) that I need to purchase this year :wacko:

Seriously, I stole 10 pesos from our maid when we lived in Uruguay in the mid 50s. For what you ask? To buy toys, not the latest jazz lp. When the maid complained that someone had stolen some money from her, I tried the Nixon tack but unlike him, I soon admitted it and had to work it off to pay her back. That's the extent of my larceny.

Now, getting back to how I'm going to pay for those sets.....

As I went to put my card in the slot, the screen was asking if I required another service. I hesitated thinking, "God, have I just out my card and typed in the number or am I daft holding this other card in my hand...???"

I obviously realised what had happened, it was only seconds really, but I turned to see the guy getting in his car and driving off.

Now I could have just pressed YES and made off with the ATM withdrawl limit (balance permitting).

I don't know which bank's ATM you were using, but I know that with most all of the banks I've ever been involved with, if you press "Yes" to "Make another transaction", etc. it always asks you for your PIN again, precisely to prevent these kind of mistakes. I'm not sure, but I wonder if the teller's cool reception to your honesty had something to do with this - as in you couldn't have done much with the situation anyway.

No.

About twenty-seven years ago a bank gave me three hundred extra dollars in cashing a paycheck. I didn't realize it til I got home. :wacko:

Man, I wish my whole paycheck was that big!

As for robbing banks, as long as Mosaic Records remains in business, have I any choice?

Bank robbery is about the most popular crime in NYC these days. The banks long ago got rid of any security guards, and the robbers usually get maybe $600 to $2000 dollars a robbery. From the bank's point of view it's not worth it to beef up security for small amounts like that, so they consider it another cost of doing business. The police commissioner has been really peeved at the banks' relunctance to do anything to prevent robberies.

Recently a woman in Brooklyn robbed a bank to pay for her pet's operation, and when she realized how easy it was she kept right on doing it until she got busted!

No.

About twenty-seven years ago a bank gave me three hundred extra dollars in cashing a paycheck. I didn't realize it til I got home. I have to admit I debated about thirty seconds before getting back in the car and going back to the bank where the teller looked incredibly relieved and said "I NEVER would have been able to tell where that money went!"

Now if I had known THAT I would probably have deliberated longer before returning to the bank. . . . Am I a bad person? :wacko:

No.

A normal person. (Actually, you sound more honest than most.)

Now I could have just pressed YES and made off with the ATM withdrawl limit (balance permitting).

I don't know which bank's ATM you were using, but I know that with most all of the banks I've ever been involved with, if you press "Yes" to "Make another transaction", etc. it always asks you for your PIN again, precisely to prevent these kind of mistakes. I'm not sure, but I wonder if the teller's cool reception to your honesty had something to do with this - as in you couldn't have done much with the situation anyway.

Hopefully, our banks will soon conform to this standard, but for the time being, most of the UK ATMs don't require the PIN for a follow up request.

....while I have not really robbed a bank, I do have a robbery story. Many years ago (too many) when I received my driver's license, I drove to St. Louis to visit my sister (my first road trip). In the middle of the night, we got a call from my frantic (crying) mother asking if I had made it there alright. She had just received a call from a small police station in Gas City, Indiana (close to James Dean's home); they said I had been arrested from robbing a CVS Drug store :huh: . She said that couldn't possibly be, as I told her I was going to St. Louis. It appears that the person they had arrested had the same license plate number as mine, but their plate was expired (the previous years plate). Despite the fact that my sister told my mother I was sleeping at the time, she was still hysterical! I did make sure to call the police station when I returned home to make sure nothing was on my record!

I was trying to think up a smart assed answer but just voted a simple "no."

I work at a bank and robberies are no fun.

I don't handle cash but work in the investments department. Last week, I was still talking to some clients after the last bank employee left for the evening. Suddenly, I realized that I was all alone with these clients in this quiet and dark bank. I told them that I was concerned about security issues and suggested we all clear out before we became the focus of all down-and-out robbers in the vicinity.

It was kind of scary... :o