Gene Deitch - the cat on a hot thin groove

• 2 weeks later...

Jason,

We have actually talked about this before but I forget which thread. Gene Deitch drew a fabulous drawing for me which I will include on my jazz photography site that is in the works. I have talked with Gene a few times, he's a great guy and still living in Prague. He has done a ton of great cartoons and is an accomplished author (with a great sense of humor) as well. I have a majority of the Record Changer Magazines that Gene drew and would recommend "Cat on a Hot Thin Groove" to everyone that loves jazz, cartoons and great design!

Mark

Jason,

I would agree about jokes, they hold true even today. It's interesting how the image of the "cat" changes a little from year to year. Gene also drew many of the ads insided the magazine, which are pretty funny also. I'm always on the lookout for some of the issues I don't have. I talked to Gene a while back and he said he has none of the original drawings, that they have ended up in the hands of collectors. As you can imagine, he's pretty sad about this :( .

Mark

Several of "The Cat" cartoons were reprintied in "Weirdo" magazine (edited by Robert Crumb) about 15-20 years ago. I've been eagerly awaiting a definitive compilation of this work ever since. The publication of Cat On A Hot Thin Groove was like a dream come true. Any dedicated jazz fan, particularly one who began collecting jazz on vinyl, can see a little (lot?) of themselves in The Cat.

I picked this up the other week and was surprised to see no ref.s to it on this site. As I leafed through the pages I recognised the same subjects coming up 50yrs later at this site ; cataloging, collecting....the cat in question seems to be very much alive..

I was lookig for this book at one time. It was pretty expensive.