What do you call carbonated flavored beverages?

What do you call carbonated flavored beverages?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cool looking map Rooster! Looks like a mosaic...... :blink: ......mmm...............Mosaic...........must...buy...Shorter/Morgan...set....... :blink:

Boy, that one county in the middle of N. Dakota is really hanging in there with the "soda" thing while all around them are opting for "pop".

In Iowa, too- is that Iowa City?

Edited by Free For All

Well, like others have mentioned, mid-west is weird...St. Louis was soda country, except when a boothill resident moved to St. Louis, then it was So-dee! :rolleyes:

When I visited a friend in Michigan around 1980, I heard all these folks saying something stupid, calling a soda, "POP" :o:lol:

Now, in the ATL it is just COKE....

Edited by BERIGAN

I was born in Buffalo, NY which, as you can see by the map, is hard-core "pop" country. I said pop all my life until I moved to Albany, where they say "soda." Generically, I call it "soda" nowadays. When in a restaurant, I always ask for "coke," which usually works regardless of whether the place serves Coke or Pepsi (although sometimes the waitress will ask "Will a Pepsi be OK?")

Now, here's the big question: Is it OK or okay?

That map is pretty incredible (incredibly accurate!). I wonder if anybody died along the California/Oregon border when the soda/pop wars were being fought back in the early days. ;)

"Soda" generally rules around here, but when I was a kid a lot of people used the word "coke" for anything carbonated. Some still do.

What really surprises me is that I didn't see any mention of the term "bottleapop". I guess I'm old school, but SODA used to come in glass containers called "bottles". ;) 99% of my relatives live(d) in the Seattle/Tacoma area, where both my parents were from. We went up there on vacation every summer, and my Aunt Florence was always driving me nuts asking if I wanted a bottlapop (I could have spelled it "bottle-o-pop", but she said it much faster than that... MUCH faster). It took me about 9 years to realize she was offering me a "bottle of pop". Once I figured out what she was saying, I still had to figure out what the hell "pop" was! :huh: