What do you call carbonated flavored beverages?

What do you call carbonated flavored beverages?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"Pop" isn't just a Midwest thing. I noticed that most people in Utah called it that when I was going to school there. I'm from the Los Angeles area. Most people call it "soda" there.

I do live in the Midwest now, and yes, "pop" is definitely the word of choice. <_<

Growing up in Illinois near the Missouri border I avoided using any of the above and would usually call the drink by the brand or flavor. I know, I'm a coward.

The more rural kids would call it "so-dee" or "so-dee pop" which used to drive my Mom nuts.

Ever see the Pop vs. Soda map?

Quincy, that map rules! Interesting that there's a big blob of "soda" around St. Louis. In the show Freaks and Geeks they always say "pop" and, sure enough, according to the map Michigan is almost pure "pop." Thank God I grew up in New England, which gave me the propler grounding in "soda." :D

so what are all these "other" words the map refers to?

FROM TEXAS ALONE:

97 soft drink

62 soda water

39 soda pop

29 cold drink

10 drink

8 Dr. Pepper

6 Dr Pepper

5 cola

3 Brand Name

3 SODIE

3 sodie water

3 fizzy

3 PENIS

2 fizzy water

2 fizz

2 sody pop

2 Sodi Water

2 Carbonated Beverage

2 CO-COLA

2 Sody Water

2 Bellywash

2 Soda Pop, or Soft Drink

2 pollypop

2 bellywasher

2 fizzy drink

2 Something to drink

1 col' drink (as in movie Cool Hand Luke)

1 gassy caffeinated colored syrup

1 soda(spanish/generic)female=7up.pop=rootbeer,etcCoke(coca)=nounPepsi=verb

1 SPRITE

1 carbev

1 I use either coke or soda equally.

1 Diet Pepsi to enlighten people or, when I'm less dogmatic, carbonated beverage a'la David Letterman.

1 Whatever the name of the drink is

1 Pantalones

1 specific name

1 soda-water/ sodi-water

1 soda water or soft drink (either one)

1 beverage

1 soft drink or cold drink

1 Pepsi

1 sometimes i calls it stankjuice other times i call it bootywater other times i calls it juicey-juice sometimes juice bruce

1 soda

1 TONIC

1 YegerMeister

1 Scotch

1 DP (Dr.Pepper)

1 Nehi Bellywasher

1 coke or pepsi

1 I grew up in Texas, and in Texas we ask for we want Coke = Coke, Sprite = Sprite etc. "Drink(s)" contain alcohol, "Soda" is associated with Soda Water/Club Soda, "Pop" is a slang term for your Dad. I now live in Alabama, and it's much different here. Here they call ALL carbonated beverages "coke." They'll say "I'd like a coke", someone will ask "what kind?" They'll respond "Dr Pepper". Although I have actually heard many of them say, "I need'a colddrink." Curiouser and curiouser!

1 sode-pop

1 Mostly coke, sometimes sodi-water or sodi-pop, but coke mostly used. both parents grew early in E. Texas and moved to Houston in late 30's.

1 I tend toward either the generic southern "Coke" or the older East Texas choice "soda pop" where both words are always said together. Many older East Texans will pronounce the "a" of "soda" as a long "e" sound, to make "sodee-pop."

1 In addition to the Southern "coke" I sometime say soda pop (or sodi pop). On an tangent, I read some of the other responses, and I am not sure where the person who said they grew up in Texas and moved to Alabama actually lived...but saying "coke" in Texas is as common as cotton. This person must have grown up in some place where there were a lot of transplanted yankees, as saying coke in Texas is no different than anywhere else in the South...and the map confirms it!

1 sosa

1 furble

1 soda water OR soda pop

1 DIET COKE

1 sodee pop

1 coldrank

1 cold drink or coke

1 dudun

1 1 Thank you, this is an extremely important topic, and a concern of mine for many years!! This survey will clear up a lot of issues. I use either one depending on who I'm talking to. Soda, for some reason, seems more formal, pop seems like a slang term from where I grew up in Indiana. I think I started using Soda when I moved to Chicago. When our family lived in Hannibal Missouri, the other kids made fun of us when we said "pop". I said, what do you call it? "Sodie-pop or sodie", they would reply. Most people I met when I lived there seemed to confuse "a's" and "i's". For example, they would say Indiani and Missoura. I never quite understood that. If I use Coke it means Coca-cola but no other soft drink. There, I just used soft drink and I didn't even realize it. I never SAY soft drink, I must just use it when I write. Keep up the good work.

1 liquid crack

1 DP

1 Cherry Pepsi

1 name of the drink

1 coke

1 trash

1 this is the most gay controversy ever...and bts i just ask for whatever drink i want

1 Large Farva

1 "Soda" if a regular drink, but always "diet coke" for diet drinks

1 Spec. Pepsi, Big Red, Sprite, etc.

1 new coke (circa 1985)

1 big red

1 have never used a generic term

1 In Texas, we order by brand only, I don't use a generic term for any of them. Down here, we say what we mean, unlike you northern fags.

1 sugar water

1 You should ask what people call retards that waste time on senseless surveys. Give me a free carbonated soft drink!!!!!!

1 Alitreacola

1 In the South, I hear African-Americans use "soda" more than "Coke".

1 so this was an issue among all my friends and we've finally come up with the conclusion to call it "PODA" (half pop/ half soda) there!

1 Coke, or Soda with all of my yankee friends... but coke is better

1 Mike wuz HERE!

1 juicy booty

Grew up in Wisconsin, where it was POP (and a drinking fountain was a BUBBLER -- to us a WATER FOUNTAIN was a big thing in the middle of a park that you looked at and maybe waded in).

Our cousins in Texas said "SODA-POP" -- but that may have been for our benefit so we would have a clue what they were talking about -- they couldn't bring themselves to say just "POP" like we did.

Moved to Boston and then New York after college and have said "SODA" ever since -- except I usually ask for it by brand name. In Boston, a lot of the natives said "TAWN-IC" (TONIC) as a generic name for a sweetened soft drink (??!!). And among urban African-American gentlemen of a certain age (a little older than me), a "POP" was what you stopped into a bar for. "Let me get a pop.."