Solos you would have hated to follow...

nmorin

I was listening to My Funny Valentine / Four and More the other day and as Miles' shattering solo on My Funny Valentine was nearing its end I thought to myself that if I were in George Coleman's shoes that night I would have said "Uh, take it away, Herbie!" George played a nice solo, but good grief, that would have been a very tough one to follow.

Any other solos come to mind for which you would not have wanted to be the next guy to stand up to the microphone?

...or Wynton Kelly after one of Coltrane's!

I'd have been proud to be Wynton Kelly. I always thought that Kelly, following Coltrane, was a very nice (and desired) change of pace.

I listen to Trane's blowing. Then Kelly, and, oohhh... this is nice. :wub:

Regarding Wynton following Trane, it would seem to me that players of that calibre must be fairly self-assured and confident and could care less who they're following. I would think that they look forward to the opportunity to contribute their input to the piece, and while it might not be as spectacular as say, a Trane solo, Trane's solos might also not be as spectacular without the contrast created by more understated soloists like Wynton, or Miles for that matter.

I think "spectacular" refers to more than a soloist playing with technical prowess and high intensity; to me "spectacular" also refers to a soloist consistently playing their own thing (regardless of who preceeds them) and not always trying to "one-up" someone else. I don't think Wynton was intimidated for a minute.

But OK, I'll play. I wouldn't want to have been Dizzy following the tenor solos on Eternal Triangle. B)

I've been listening to the Jazz at the Plaza session from the Miles/Trane box and while the Trane solos are very good, I sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to have to follow any of Cannonball's solos. He was ON that day.

I've always loved Jazz At The Plaza.

On Oleo, the transition from Miles' solo to Trane's (where Trane finishes Miles' scalar idea before taking off on his own thing) is one of my favorite musical moments.

And yes, Cannonball was ON!

Rooster: yes, that's the stuff I was thinking of as well.

Free For All and Wesbed: I agree, and in fact was coming here to post pretty much the same thought. I remember Jim and I seeing Joey DeFrancesco a couple of years ago. Joey's a true "chops-zilla" if there ever was one, and his usual guitarist, Paul Bollenback, comes pretty close to matching him in that department. But that night he had a relative unknown with him by the name of Craig Ebner. The thing that was nice is that we never got the sense that Craig was intimidated by Joey's soloing but instead was comfortable just doing his thing, which was really tasty lines followed by one chorus of chord soloing. It was a great contrast, and always came as a bit of a relief. So that taught me a good lesson right there, but one that I sometimes forget. Hell, sometimes Jim Alfredson and Johnny Gist lay down some shit that I don't want to follow! :wacko:

Edited by Joe G