Upcoming Japanese Re-re-re-reissues?

Hank

I know one of our other board members normally posts announcements from Hiroshi Tanno, but this one seemed a little more unusual. All titles below have been recently reissued as RVGs (don't know if these are RVGs) and were sold for 2500 yen (these are downright cheap by comparison). They appear to be jewel-case releases too. Three or four are unavailable in the US.

The following CDs are scheduled for release.

On June 9,2004

Toshiba TOCJ 6401(Blue Note)New,24bit Clark,Sonny/Cool Struttin' 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6402(Blue Note)New,24bit Adderley,Cannonball/Somethin' Else 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6403(Blue Note)New,24bit Blakey,Art/Moanin' 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6404(Blue Note)New,24bit Coltrane,John/Blue Train 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6405(Blue Note)New,24bit Hancock,Herbie/Maiden Voyage 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6406(Blue Note)New,24bit Powell,Bud/The Scene Changes 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6407(Blue Note)New,24bit Chambers,Paul/Bass on Top 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6408(Blue Note)New,24bit Morgan,Lee/The Sidewinder 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6409(Blue Note)New,24bit Burrell,Kenny/Midnight Blue 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6410(Blue Note)New,24bit Rollins,Sonny/A Night at the Village Vangaurd 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6411(Blue Note)New,24bit Blakey,Art/A Night at Birdland Vol.1 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6412(Blue Note)New,24bit McLean,Jackie/Swing Swang Swingin' 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6413(Blue Note)New,24bit Morgan,Lee/Vol.3 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6414(Blue Note)New,24bit Clark,Sonny/Trio 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6415(Blue Note)New,24bit Hancock,Herbie/Speak Like a Child 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6416(Blue Note)New,24bit Morgan,Lee/Candy 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6417(Blue Note)New,24bit Davis,Miles/Vol.1 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6418(Blue Note)New,24bit Powell,Bud/The Amazing Vol.1 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6419(Blue Note)New,24bit Brooks,Tina/True Blue 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6420(Blue Note)New,24bit Mobley,Hank/Dippin' 1500

Edited by Hank

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could these perhaps be the old pre-JRVG "TOCJ" masterings??? I can't imagine how they could be, but who the hell knows??

Would love to see a complete list, if one ever becomes available. I might just try to track a few of these down, particularly for some sessions never released in the US, for which there are no alternate takes or bonus tracks.

(Too good to be true, I know. I'm not getting my hopes up.)

EDIT: 100 different BN TOCJ "1500 series" discs listed here: LINK. Of course, I can't read what they are. I suppose there's a list (in English) of TOCJ's 1501-1600 somewhere on-line, wouldn't ya think??

Any indication if these are the old pre-JRVG series?? I've never owned any JRVG's (hate the mini-LP format), and I'm really not up on what's what with Japanese BN's.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I placed my order already for the following:

Toshiba TOCJ 6402(Blue Note)New,24bit Adderley,Cannonball/Somethin' Else 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6403(Blue Note)New,24bit Blakey,Art/Moanin' 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6404(Blue Note)New,24bit Coltrane,John/Blue Train 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6405(Blue Note)New,24bit Hancock,Herbie/Maiden Voyage 1500

Toshiba TOCJ 6415(Blue Note)New,24bit Hancock,Herbie/Speak Like a Child 1500

Nothing like having the classics back in a new TOCJ format!!!

Hiroshi confirmed Harold's observation that these are being reissued to celebrate BN's 65th Anniversary.

True, but if they're solely interested in making sales, I don't understand why they wouldn't re-release things like the 'Rare Tracks - Other Side of BN 400 Series' (TOCJ-5941-44) which -- unlike the others -- isn't available in various formats.......is always in short supply...and always commands a decent price? That's just one example.

True, but if they're solely interested in making sales, I don't understand why they wouldn't re-release things like the 'Rare Tracks - Other Side of BN 400 Series' (TOCJ-5941-44) which -- unlike the others -- isn't available in various formats.......is always in short supply...and always commands a decent price? That's just one example.

I'm guessing that one didn't sell as well in Japan as the "regular" TOCJs / JRVGs.

How many times are these sessions going to be recycled?

It's not funny anymore  :angry:

Toshiba wouldn't do it if the disks wouldn't sell.

Sure. But I hate the "Limited Edition" labels . Back in 1999 when the first JRVG appeared Thoshiba told us that they are planning 200 JRVG releases in a Limited Edition series. Now we have 3xx JRVG in different re-re-re-releases.

Humbug!

I guess I'm a little confused by some of the complaints I'm reading here. The fact that classic BN titles are again being offered to a demanding public (specifically, the relatively large number of jazz-loving Japanese) would seem to be a cause for celebration, not criticism. As far as the "limited edition" issue goes, these are limited editions. Only a limited number of cds are produced, and then they sell out. A few years later (maybe less, I don't know), the demand in Japan warrants another limited run of these or other titles. It's a different system than is used in the U.S. by, say Fantasy, whose limited editions stay in print for years because the demand is so low. BTW, I don't see anyone complaining about the upcoming reissues of Sixth Sense or Blue Spirits. Those were limited editions that are about to be offered again. This is not to say you folks don't have a right to complain, I just don't agree with you.

I guess the only real reason to complain is if you are speculating on the value of limited edition specially packaged items such as the Japanese RVG series in the lp facimile edition. . . . If other versions of the music are available (and RVG'd at that) then the value MAY go down. . . .