3 favorite songs from the 1980s

wesbed

Three songs from The Cure's Disintegration (1989): Fascination Street, Pictures of You, Love Song, Lullaby.

i use to listen to mid period cure (head on the door and kiss me ...), but i recently picked up a copy of the 4 cd b-sides box (it was sealed, cheap, and i had some trade credit).

all of the reviews that i read talked about how great the 1st 2 discs are and how bad the 2nd 2 discs are, but i find that i like disc 4 the most.

does anyone else have any thoughts on this set. it's not something i ever expected to pick up, but i have been listening to it quite a bit lately.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

POP songs of the 80s...here you go

1. Waterfront - Simple Minds

2. Biko - Peter Gabriel

3. Cloudbusting - Kate Bush

cheers, Tjobbe

EDIT: as altenative take, Aberdeen - Danny Wilson (have done to few Albums as The Christians did)

Edited by tjobbe

In general the 80s were "the decade that music forgot" to my ears.

However, there were a few gems on the popular front. Most things XTC put out as singles (I'm using that as a definition of 'popular').

Robert Wyatt - "Shipbuilding" One of the great political songs given a perfect performance.

Working Week - "Venceremos" and "Storm of Light" Two absolute stormers from a time when jazz was having a brief moment in the sun in the UK. The first had a fabulous melody sung by Wyatt (again!), Tracey Thorn (of Everything But the Girl) and then a wonderful Latin singer plus great solos by Larry Stabbins and Harry Beckett. The second had wonderous organ playing and a glorious vocal performance by Julie Tippetts (ne Driscoll) making a rare appearance beyond the free scene.

So many posts to answer!

Tonym -- yep, Thomas Dolby -- great!

Rachel -- I'm So Bored With the USA?

Bev -- "Shipbuilding" was the first song I thought of when I saw the thread title -- but my recollection was that it was even more obscure to people in the U.S. than those Fall songs!

Mule -- I'll have to take your word for it, since my birthdate's posted and yours isn't! ;)

What's the name of the Smiths song that goes:

"Just shut your mouth/......(forgot the lyrics)..../I am human and I need to be loved/Just like anyone"

Come to think of it, that could pretty much be ANY Smiths song, but I always liked the beat of that particular one.

The Cure Disintegration: my sister and I each bought our own copies so we wouldn't have to keep sharing one! Loved the sound on that one!

Neil Young should be included too for This Note's For You and anything from Freedom

I guess "My My Hey Hey (Into the Black)" is really 1979? Otherwise, another vote from me.

And -- just about anything from "Double Nickles on the Dime" by the Minute Men!

Bev -- "Shipbuilding" was the first song I thought of when I saw the thread title -- but my recollection was that it was even more obscure to people in the U.S. than those Fall songs!

As a Wyatt fan from the early 70s I bought this as a single and was never too sure if it had any success in the wider world, being completely out of touch with the rock world by the early 80s (I wouldn't recognise a Fall song if it bit me!)

But I keep hearing it on the radio - and it made No.68 in Mojo's recent 'Political Songs' poll. So it must be quite well known!

Edited by Bev Stapleton

As a Wyatt fan from the early 70s I bought this as a single and was never too sure if it had any success in the wider world, being completely out of touch with the rock world by the early 80s (I wouldn't recognise a Fall song if it bit me!)

But I keep hearing it on the radio - and it made No.68 in Mojo's recent 'Political Songs' poll. So it must be quite well known!

It maybe helped the song's profile as it was ressurected by Suede, I think, as part of the 'Help' War Child album from about 10 years ago.

only 3!!!!???!!! i can't contain myself :w

Prince - Housequake & It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Night

Sting - Englishman In New York

The Style Council - A Boy Who Cried Wolf

Central Line - Walking To Sunshine

The O´Jays - Put Our Heads Together

The Time - Jungle Love

Midnight Star - Midas Touch

Dazz Band - Let The Music Play

Michael Wycoff - Looking Up to You

Cameo - Attack Me With Your Love

Change - Hold Tight

Con Funk Shun - I'll Get You Back

Dayton - Out Tonight

Donna Allen - Bad Love

D-Train - Keep On

Eddie Ski White - Babe Be Mine

Fat Larry's Band - Act Like You Know

Kleeer - Intimate Connection

Herbie Hancock - Can't Hide Your Love

Funkadelic - Knee Deep

• 3 years later...

What's the name of the Smiths song that goes:

"Just shut your mouth/......(forgot the lyrics)..../I am human and I need to be loved/Just like anyone"

Come to think of it, that could pretty much be ANY Smiths song, but I always liked the beat of that particular one.

How Soon Is Now