NYC West Village Restaurant Recommedations

Hey Folks,

My girlfriend and I are having trouble finding good spots to eat in the West Village. We're going to Horace Silver at the Blue Note afterward, but need a restaurant that's $25 or less per person. We preferably aren't looking to have Italian seeing as we're going to Grimalidi's in Brooklyn for lunch.

However, I think we may overestimating the size of Manhatten, so if there's good recommendations that might be somewhat close to the West Village, that would be great as well.

There are plenty of excellent restaurants in the West Village, but they're mostly expensive (Babbo, Il Mulino, One if by Land) or pizza (Joe's, Nick's). The only moderately priced yet fairly good place I can think of off the top of my head is the Cornelia St. Cafe (which has live jazz in the basement, BTW). It's on Cornelia just off Sixth Ave, about two blocks from the Blue Note. They serve mostly New American. Not the city's best, but decent enough and <$25.

UA,

If you like Indian there's a Mitali on Seventh Avenue South. it's a five or ten minute walk to the Blue Note from there. It's on 296 Bleecker Street. Telephone is (212)989-1367.

For that matter, if you're in to Indian it's not all that far of a walk over to E 7th St (Indian Row - almost everything on the block is an Indian restaurant).

Guest akanalog

there is a place called "the pink teacup" in the west village at 42 grove street-between bleecker and bedford-which has some decent soul food (though probably not as good as somewhere way uptown). though saying you are going to a restaurant in the west village called "the pink teacup" will raise some eyebrows.

For that matter, if you're in to Indian it's not all that far of a walk over to E 7th St (Indian Row - almost everything on the block is an Indian restaurant).

South side of east 6th Street, between First and Second Avenues (I live further east, between C & D). Although my favorite Indian restaurant in the East Village is on Second Avenue between 3rd-4th or 4th-5th Streets -- Madras Cafe, 79 Second Avenue -- vegetarian South Indian cuisine -- another Organissimo-ite gave it a big :tup recently.

I still like Mogador, 101 St. Mark's Place ("8th Street" between First Ave & Ave A) -- Moroccan-ish, reasonably priced (chicken tagine with couscous, olives and preserved lemon for about $10 is a favorite of mine).

BTW, the links above take you to a Village Voice repository of a zillion more brief restaurant reviews, plus MAPS!

Edited by maren

there is a place called "the pink teacup" in the west village at 42 grove street-between bleecker and bedford-which has some decent soul food (though probably not as good as somewhere way uptown). though saying you are going to a restaurant in the west village called "the pink teacup" will raise some eyebrows.

Yes, PTC is very good!