How's the weather?

I got the magic call at 9.30 last night that we weren't expected in today. A golden opportunity to catch up on paperwork.

Hope that includes sleeve notes and liner notes.

Well, it was nice to have musical accompaniment for the day. But the exam board regulations I was trying to decipher were a bit like trying to read a piece by Anthony Braxton explaining his music!

Pictures????

Some nice ones here on the BBC News site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8442877.stm

I got the magic call at 9.30 last night that we weren't expected in today. A golden opportunity to catch up on paperwork.

All the usual grumbling - why has the salt run out, why isn't my road clear etc. The Beeb wheeled out the 'why do the schools have to shut' 'controversy' again (as they annually wheel out the 'scandal that the GCSE pass rate had gone up/gone down'). They should have been sat in my heads office at 10.00 a.m. yesterday as angry parents demanded he shut the school and allow them to collect their kids (I expect he spent today fielding calls from angry parents about the place being shut). I've taught in this school for over 30 years and it's only been closed by the weather 6 times maximum!

We sure know how to make storms in teacups.

Went into our county town, Truro, today and it was like a ghost town. Shopping was almost pleasant. Not much snow about near here so don't know where everybody was. Doing their tax returns while 'working from home'?

Pictures????

All the usual grumbling - why has the salt run out, why isn't my road clear etc. The Beeb wheeled out the 'why do the schools have to shut' 'controversy' again (as they annually wheel out the 'scandal that the GCSE pass rate had gone up/gone down'). They should have been sat in my heads office at 10.00 a.m. yesterday as angry parents demanded he shut the school and allow them to collect their kids (I expect he spent today fielding calls from angry parents about the place being shut). I've taught in this school for over 30 years and it's only been closed by the weather 6 times maximum!

Thanks! Sounds like things are the same all over, though folks here in the south tend to error on the side of caution with school closings...but we sure panic and clear out stores even with a threat of a whole inch of snow, which is what they are predicting here in the ATL. Of course, we bought more than we needed today, just in case! :rolleyes:

Edited by BERIGAN

The U.K. freaks annually when a drop of snow falls. What would be a day of relief in most of Canada and the U.S. becomes a national state of emergency. Temps such as 28 degrees are described as "bitterly cold", lol. If, say, Canada closed everthing in those conditions, it would be closed for about 5 months. Lotsa fun, hee hee.

Pictures????

Went into our county town, Truro, today and it was like a ghost town. Shopping was almost pleasant. Not much snow about near here so don't know where everybody was. Doing their tax returns while 'working from home'?

I lived in Newquay for 3 1/2 years at the turn of the 60s/70s and it snowed once! Gone by lunch time!

Back at work today (though half the kids didn't turn in); one of the few schools in the area that did open.

The weekend is looking threatening - heavy snow predicted for Saturday and Sunday.

The U.K. freaks annually when a drop of snow falls. What would be a day of relief in most of Canada and the U.S. becomes a national state of emergency. Temps such as 28 degrees are described as "bitterly cold", lol. If, say, Canada closed everthing in those conditions, it would be closed for about 5 months. Lotsa fun, hee hee.

The trouble is we rarely get weather like this (or not in recent years) so it's not cost or time effective to have the sort of contingency plans you'd get in Canada or Finland. If this was regular for 5 months we'd adjust accordingly.

The pictures here are absolutely gorgeous:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/nottingham/hi/people_and_places/nature/newsid_8424000/8424941.stm

Edited by Bev Stapleton

One or two minor skids but no problem with the drive yesterday. More to come Sunday night - with salt rationing starting to kick in maybe the fun is about to begin?

Part of the problem in the UK is with the more minor roads, especially those in the countryside which are problematic for the gritters. The major trunk roads seem to be fine.

Certainly no-where near my all time worst. Calgary Trail between Calgary and Edmonton - zero vis out of the front window due to blizzard, had to 'feel' my way along the road using the side camber ! :o

Plenty of sun shining through the patio door today though. Beautiful ! :)

Edited by sidewinder

So very little moisture fell Thursday/Friday morn but what did and was in the shade has made a mess of things. The ground is very cold, since we have been below normal temp wise for weeks. Usually normal is 50-55 then a cold blast with moisture. Anyway Our subdivision is very hilly. And no salt trucks around. At the base of our street was just a bit of snow and ice. Fun to skid thru since it was only about 10 feet. But, not at the bottom of the last street, but up a little ways, I saw a 40-50 foot patch from one side of the street to the other. A SUV was going backwards…gee, I thought couldn’t he make it up??? Hmmm, then I get on the ice…fairly steep hill…all of the sudden, I am sliding down and right towards him, Fudge! Only I didn’t say fudge! :) Fortunately she keep rolling back, since I did the panic move I should know better, and braked hard…putting in Reverse seemed to do the trick. Should have been in low down the hill.

Then, 4 hours later coming back up the hill, I got a good head of steam going, and slid across from the right to the left side of the road! Thankfully, no one was on that side!

I have been in the snow a few times here, and ice many, many years ago in Jacksonville(snow on top of it) but this was the worst. Just glare ice this evening. Scary.

Been watching folks slip sliding all over Atlanta on the News the last few days. Lots of trucks sliding backwards, buses too. A 29 car accident yesterday. A.M. Amazing what damage a lousy 1/2 to 1 inch of snow can do. And most roads are dry right now! Would have been much better off with 3-4 inches of snow.

Certainly no-where near my all time worst. Calgary Trail between Calgary and Edmonton - zero vis out of the front window due to blizzard, had to 'feel' my way along the road using the side camber ! :o.....

Side Camber??? Are you talking about a side mirror??? Or the camber angle of the wheels???

Much confuzzlement on my part.

Edited by BERIGAN

Side Camber??? Are you talking about a side mirror??? Or the camber angle of the wheels???

Much confuzzlement on my part.

No - the camber/incline on the side of the highway ! :o:crazy: I had to literally 'feel' my way along the road. The trouble was, you had to keep going as there was no pull-in and there was the risk of stuff shunting into you from the back. Certainly don't want to encounter that situation again.

Driving on black ice to Lake Louise with endless juggernauts coming the other way caused a fair bit of sweat too..

Still well below zero here and snow predicted tonight but - what the heck - my boiler is working. :rhappy:

Edited by sidewinder