How's the weather?

How's the weather? You wanna know how the weather is? It's fucking cold enough to freeze the brass nuts off a monkey's ass, that's how cold it is. It didn't get above freezing yesterday(contrary to all the weather reports), and it ain't out of the 20s yet right now.

We'll probably get up in the 80s next week. <_<

My MIL lives in Concord, NC and said the cold reminds her why she moved from Connecticut.

My Aunt in Madison, WI said it got way up to 15 degrees yesterday.....could be worse, MoGrubb :g

Nothing like that Northern winter, e.g. crossing the street, thinking you're stepping on "solid" snow or ice, sinking up to your ankles in ice water slush.

At least out West y'all have fairly dry cold, not too uncomfortable. The cold around here'll chill your bones.

Nothing like that Northern winter, e.g. crossing the street, thinking you're stepping on "solid" snow or ice, sinking up to your ankles in ice water slush.

At least out West y'all have fairly dry cold, not too uncomfortable. The cold around here'll chill your bones.

But they have earthquakes and volcanoes out there. Isn't there anywhere in America where there aren't disasters waiting to happen (hurricanes etc) or horrid weather in the winter?

MG

We had some family friends and their kids visiting the past few days, and took them out to the beach yesterday. They recently moved down to Texas from Illinois. After about an hour of strolling the beach and jetties, my buddy told me it felt colder out there at about 57 F, with the wind and humidity (and salt spray), than it did up in Illinois (Quad Cities area).

I had to laugh, because I've been up there in January before, and that's some kinda COLD up there!

But they have earthquakes and volcanoes out there. Isn't there anywhere in America where there aren't disasters waiting to happen (hurricanes etc) or horrid weather in the winter?

MG

Volcanoes....um...?

Tell you what: I'll take my rare 7.6 earthquake, see your tornadoes and raise you ice storms, hail storms, plague of locust, stiffling humidity, New Yorkers or whatever the hell else you guys got going back there.

A little Earth movement is good for the Soul.

Rock on ;)

MG

Volcanoes....um...?

I don't think volcanoes are a major concern in the Western U.S. in general, but MG is correct. In addition to volcanoes in Hawaii and Alaska, there are volcanoes in Washington down into California.

Excerpts from this U.S.G.S. site:

...Few places on Earth allow closer or more dramatic views of volcanic activity than Mauna Loa and Kilauea volcanoes on the island of Hawaii. Their frequent but usually nonexplosive eruptions make them ideal for scientific study.

...Volcanoes of the Cascade Range erupt far less frequently than Kilauea and Mauna Loa, but they are more dangerous because of their violently explosive behavior and their proximity to populated and cultivated areas in Washington, Oregon, and California.

...Recent violent eruptions have demonstrated that volcanic hazards do exist in some areas of Alaska, even though it is sparsely populated. Alaskan volcanoes have produced one or two eruptions per year since 1900.

Edited by Aggie87

MG

Volcanoes....um...?

I don't think volcanoes are a major concern in the Western U.S. in general, but MG is correct. In addition to volcanoes in Hawaii and Alaska, there are volcanoes in Washington down into California.

Excerpts from this U.S.G.S. site:

...Few places on Earth allow closer or more dramatic views of volcanic activity than Mauna Loa and Kilauea volcanoes on the island of Hawaii. Their frequent but usually nonexplosive eruptions make them ideal for scientific study.

...Volcanoes of the Cascade Range erupt far less frequently than Kilauea and Mauna Loa, but they are more dangerous because of their violently explosive behavior and their proximity to populated and cultivated areas in Washington, Oregon, and California.

...Recent violent eruptions have demonstrated that volcanic hazards do exist in some areas of Alaska, even though it is sparsely populated. Alaskan volcanoes have produced one or two eruptions per year since 1900.

Mount St. Helens in Oregon's Cascades blew it's top 28 years ago.

In California, there is some seismic activity attributed to Mammoth Mountain in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. They figure it might become active in, oh....a thousand years, give or take a week or two.

I'm fairly certain I'm safe ;)

The yearly Plague of Tourists, OTOH, has been known to wreck pure havoc on this state. :blink::o

91099-urlauber-fat-suit-tourist-fat-suit.jpg

Edited by GoodSpeak

Terrible weather here today. Heavy rain and driving winds, with gusts up to 85 mph. Yikes. And we're supposed to get more of the same through Tuesday! :blink:

I just walked a mile in this shit. We had worse in Florida, but of course SF infrastructure is wimpy and my power went out as I was taking a shower. The Bay looks like it did through most of Star Trek IV .

91099-urlauber-fat-suit-tourist-fat-suit.jpg

They look like Americans to me...

MG

You'd be surprised, MG.

I can spot an Asian tourist from a mile off....Eastern Europeans, too.

Brits tend to blend in more as do the Aussies.

French and Germans tend to be a mixed bag.

East Coast visitors, well, let's just say we Native Californians got them figured out, too. The shorts with black socks and loafers are the give away ;)

Edited by GoodSpeak