Looking for a good red wine for around $15

Yes, quite a few decent ones in that price range. A few that come to mind......Carmenet Dynamite Cabernet or the Indian Springs Cabernet (or Cabernet Franc) out of Nevada County, CA. Both affordable quality reds imo.

If you're feeling flush at some point and want to drop a little more $ for a special occasion or so, the Carmenet 'Moon Mountain' Reserve should do the trick at a price that won't knock the wind out of you.

dynamitecab.jpg

11790.jpg

I always recommend Chateau Ste. Michelle's Cabernet Sauvignon when asked for a good cheap red. Another excellent one, that may be just above $15, is Beaulieu Vineyards' Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon.

However, to get better red wines at this price point, I think you should look at the Australian Shirazes. Rosemount is a great bargain at around $12. I personally favor one called Woop Woop ($10), but it's gotten good reviews and subsequently been tougher to find. Avoid Greg Norman's stuff. Not because it's bad, but because it's too expensive. It ain't worth what they're charging for it around here, which is around $20. Another great Shiraz is called Parenga but you're unlikely to find it... it has a strong little following (mostly because it's around $9/bottle). I have friends that swear by Yellowtail Shiraz but I thought it was wimpy. YMMV.

Kevin

I have friends that swear by Yellowtail Shiraz but I thought it was wimpy.

I agree......this Yellowtail stuff is imminently drinkable but it's the type of bottle I'm going to break out when my mother swings over and has a couple of quick glasses (small aquariums ? :g ) out on the patio. She likes a nice tasting wine but isn't going to sit around and issue profundities about the complexity of the wine and all that biz.....so at $7.50 a bottle, go for it.

If you like Pinot Noirs, my wife and I love the Firesteed Pinot Noir. Inexpensive and I just love how it feels on the tongue...

We only drink Pinots, anymore... :winky:

Another nice Pinot is Fleur De Carneros. About $11.99 - very nice! I also like one from Argentina of all places called Alamos. Also around $12.

There are tons of wines in the $15 range, including many Cote Du Rhones. You can spend a lifetime in the $15 range. We rarely veer outside it, unless we are out to dinner, in which case it is the $30-$40 range (same wines in the $15 range, don'tcha hate it :) ).

That's what I'm sayin'. My father turned me on to a French Rhone called Perrin about two years ago and I never looked back. Best part is: it's only ten dollars. I think it stands up against any number of $15-$20 bottles. As a result, I've been stuck on Rhones for quite a while now.

46261l.jpg

I could stand to revisit the Australian varieties. It's been a while. Haven't tried the Rosemount Shiraz in a few years but, for a while there, it just kept getting jammier by the vintage and that's something I like to avoid. I don't like that Smuckers taste.

Edited by Brandon Burke

Rosemount was great about 5 years ago. I remember a friend's mom turning me onto it when I was in England.

Penfold's is pretty consistent. Black Opal too. We bought a case a few weeks back at $7 a bottle! Elsewhere it sells for $14. Not a thing wrong with it.

I haven't had Perrin. Thanks for the tip!

I'll also check out the Chilean grape mentioned. I have had pretty good luck with Chilean wine.

I'm by no means a conn. of wines, but I know what I like. Pinot Noir and Cote Du Rhone by rule, Merlot by majority, Shiraz as well.

My wife kept bringing Yellow Tail home until I asked her to try something new. I was a fan a few years ago, but I'm not impressed anymore. Nathanson Creek used to be decent as well. I wonder what it tastes like now? Anyone familiar?

Good companion to the cheese thread!

Still very much a novice regarding reds ... but what do you all think of Coppolla's line? Asking out of curiosity, and because it's easily available over here.

I was just there over the summer. Beautiful vineyard. The most commonly distrubuted Coppolas are the "Diamond Series" of which there are five: Claret, Zin, Pinot, Chard, and Merlot. (I hope that's right.) Anyways, these range from about $13 to about $18. I usually love red zins but found this one to be pretty flat. Conversely, I usually find merlots boring and rather like this one. The cab (claret) is very good as well. I've not tried either the pinot or the chard. They also produce a lower priced blend marketed as a "table wine" that's very affordable and exceptionally good for the price; something around $11. Anything above the Diamond Series gets expensive....quickly. But they're really damned good. Especially the Rubicon which will run you between $100-$300 depending on the vintage. (If you get to know your rep--i.e. pretend to be really interested in whatever he's talking about--then you'll get to try some of that Rubicon. It's worth it.)

Edited by Brandon Burke

If you like Pinot Noirs, my wife and I love the Firesteed Pinot Noir.  Inexpensive and I just love how it feels on the tongue...

We only drink Pinots, anymore... :winky:

Another nice Pinot is Fleur De Carneros. About $11.99 - very nice! I also like one from Argentina of all places called Alamos. Also around $12.

Thanks Ralphie-boy! I'll be on the lookout for those. B) -_-

• 2 months later...

Jamestown Wine Cellar Believed Unearthed

Fri Jul 16, 2:23 PM ET  Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

JAMESTOWN, Va. - Eight glass bottles have been unearthed in a brick-walled space that may have been the wine cellar of a house dating from the close of the 1600s in Jamestown.

The intact, gourd-shaped bottles, which were found without corks, were likely empty when they were stored in the cellar, said Bill Kelso, director of archaeology for the Jamestown Recovery Project. Archaeologists initially believed they contained remnants of wine.

"We looked at them closer and it doesn't look like that's a possibility," Kelso said Friday.

An "FN" seal on one bottle is believed to signify Francis Nicholson, a governor from 1698 into the early 1700s who moved the Virginia colony's capital from Jamestown, inland to Williamsburg.

The bottle may indicate the house owner had received wine as a gift from Nicholson, Kelso said.

The shape of the bottles dates from 1680 to 1700, Jamestown curator Bly Straube said Thursday, announcing the find.

"What's really neat about this is finding so many of them intact — and still in their original context," Straube said.

Remnants of other bottles, pottery pieces and other artifacts were also found in the space — the brick cellar of a wooden house near James Fort's western wall.

Archaeologists unearthed the bottles this week during excavation of James Fort, founded in 1607 and the first permanent English settlement in the New World.

The discovery of James Fort was announced in 1996 and exploded historians' assumption that erosion on Jamestown Island had washed away all vestiges of the settlement. By last year, archaeologists had found the outline of most of the triangular fort.