Buck Hill

Dan Gould

Do our D.C. members know if Buck Hill is still active?

I'm curious because I found a cut-out copy of his final Muse CD, and since it was sealed and $5, I decided to go for it:

d85448i94r1.jpg

I think that when this first came out, in 1995, I stayed away because he played clarinet on four or five tracks, and that made me hesitate.

Stupid, STUPID me!!

This is an outstanding album, and the clarinet tracks are among the highlights, especially his cover of "Now's The Time".

Buck Hill is Da Bumb! :)

Edited by Dan Gould

Dan, welcome to the Buck Hill fans club! Never saw that 'Impulse' Muse release. I have plenty of his SteepleChase albums. Love the ones with that great rhythm section of Cedar Walton, Buster Williams and Billy Higgins! 'This Is Buck Hill' and 'The Scope'. Another outstanding Buck Hill album on Muse is 'The Buck Stops Here' with Jonny Coles on trumpet and another great rhythm section: Barry Harris, Ray Drummond and Kenny Washington.

Trust the Buck has now retired from his post office job and he is busy playing in WC clubs. Wish I could hear him live.

Buck Hill also mae appearanceds on a couple of Shirley Horn albums: 'You Won't Forget Me' (too bad he did not play alongside Miles Davis on that one) and 'Close Enough For Love'.

Brownie, I don't think Buck ever recorded with the rhythm section you site. Were you thinking of the Kenny Barron, Buster Williams, Billy Hart trio?

You're really sharp-eyed. Included Billy Higgins cause I was listening at the same time to James Clay's 'I Let A Song Go Out of My Heart' on Antilles. Great record that one too! Billy Hart is the drummer with the Buck Hill rhythm section on Steeplechase. The music (and the lovely Canon-Fronsac red wine I had at lunch) got to my head!