2004 Indy Jazz Fest!!!

sheldonm

I went to a party last night for the announcement of artists for the 2004 Indy Jazz Festival which will be held over Father's Day Weekend. Sevaral big names, many small names and several bands with local ties but a great festival!!!!

~Friday June 18 on the Jazz Heritage Stage

Buselli-Wallarab Jazz Orchestra

Jazz at the Lincoln Center Afro-Latin Jazz

Poncho Sanchez

~Blues and Roots Stage

Sindacato

Nathan & the Zydeco Cha Chas

Buddy Guy

Isaac Hayes

~Jazz Central Stage

Benito DiBartoli & the Black Voodoo Band

Rodney Step and BSB

Monika Herzig & Friends: A Tribute to Women in Jazz

Larry Calland's Conga Band

~Saturday June 19th on the Jazz Heritage Stage

Note Man Jazz Combo

Cynthia Layne

American Pianists Association's Cole Porter Fellow winner (TBD)

Brad Mehldau Trio with Steve Swallow and Bill Stewert

7 Pleasures

Nancy Wilson w/ Ransey Lewis

~Blues and Roots Stage

Middletown

Otis Gibbs

Solomon Burke :excited:

Patti LaBelle

~Jazz Central Stage

Cathy Morris

On Cue

Jeff DeHeardt Group

Jay Majors & Hook Up

Mina Keohane

Latin Night, featuring Ipanema, Vallenato, Diego del Rio and DJ Elkin Zuluaga

~Sunday June 19th on the Jazz Heritage Stage

Minister Stanly Daniels and company

Y-Zone Gospel Chiior

Lamar Campbell & Spirit of Praise

Jimmy Coe Tribute (Local Legends pay tribute to Jimmy Coe who passed away several weeks ago).

The Blind Boys of Alabama

~Jazz Central Stage

No Regrets

Hot Club of Naptown

Neopolitan

Greg Bacon

EN2

The Jazz Heritage and Blue/Roots stage are the main stages with the Jazz Central stage being a smaller structure under a large tent. The festival has tons of food/drink/merchants for all tastes. The cost of the festival is $15.00 per day (cheap INO) but $25.00 day of the show. If anyone has any additional questions about the festival, you can log onto their site at www.indyjazzfest.net. I also do a lot of work for the festival and have a relationship with the organizers, so I may be able to answer some. Indy's a nice, clean safe, relatively cheap accomodations if anyone is thinking of making the trip. It would be good to see some of you there. No Organissimo :( but I'll have to apply a little "pressure" on the organizers for 2005!!!

Mark

ugh. I find that line up completely uninspiring. Am I missing something? I won't be making the 3 hour trip for that.

montg,

Sorry for your dissapointment; I have yet to see any festival that is 100% inspiring but most are still very enjoyable and worth the time and money to see! I've been to Monterey before and sometimes felt the line-up was lacking only to be pleasently surprised when it was all said and done. They try to make these festivals appeal to a large audience. If I had my way (I don't), it would be nothing but hardbop. I did supply them with a list longer than my arm of musicians I would like to see perform. Unfortunately, there are many people involved in this process and everyone has their idea of who they would like to see. Of course, I think only my opinion counts ;) !!! It's a work in progress but I think they will always try to appeal to a mass audience as there are many things to consider with putting together something of this nature. That said, I certainly think it's worth a 3 hour drive and $15.00. I go to Chicago 2-3 times per month for shows at the Jazz Showcase (3 hours now feels like 30 minutes) but maybe I'm a little strange; I've been told this before. Sorry you won't make it, as it's a great event. This is also the weekend of the U.S. Grand Prix.

Joe G,

B-3er is sending me your promotional package!!!

Regards,

Mark

I'm sure board members Rachel will more than likely make an appearance as will Ghost of Miles; a good time will be had by all!!!  Conn & Sal, you're not too far away???

I won't be appearing on the Jazz Central Stage, Blues and Roots Stage, or Jazz Heritage Stage, but you will find me in the 'Long Island Tea' line. :P

Next year when Organissimo appears, it will be a party. ;)

they try to make these festivals appeal to a large audience. If I had my way (I don't), it would be nothing but hardbop

Thanks Sheldonm--this was a source of my frustration. Looking over the list I saw a lot of Latin stuff and blues which, for me, isn't s big draw. Ben Allsion, Eric Alexander, Don Braden, Osby, Moran, Ralph Peterson, Curtis Fuller....it'd be nice to see a little more representation of folks like these. But I realize the bills have to be paid. I looked at the St Louis festival lineup for this summer and wasn't really moved by that list either. Must be me!

I will reconsider though..15.00 bucks is hard to beat.

I have to agree with montg here. I am pretty disappointed by this year's lineup. I guess I had a big disappointment because of my high expectation. I live 5 minutes from the festival site, but I may not even go to the festival this year except for Brad Meldau and Jimmy Coe Tribute. I'd rather go see F1 U.S. Grandprix.

I'm sure board members Rachel will more than likely make an appearance as will Ghost of Miles; a good time will be had by all!!!  Conn & Sal, you're not too far away???

I won't be appearing on the Jazz Central Stage, Blues and Roots Stage, or Jazz Heritage Stage, but you will find me in the 'Long Island Tea' line. :P

Next year when Organissimo appears, it will be a party. ;)

Rachel,

I'll meet you in line :P !!!

Mark

• 2 months later...