How other people see us...

Jim Alfredson

B3-er,

I regularly visit JC & AAJ as well as here, and this board is easily the best. The discussions are very lively, frequently humorous and almost always enlightening.The music threads are fantastic- I've learned so much since I started frequenting this board, and there are plenty of non-Blue Note topics in the music threads. The politics can get rather contentious, but that's how political discussions go sometimes, people tend to feel very strongly about their political views. Despite that, I think if you got Berigan, Weizen, Johnny E. & Mule together physically in one place, they'd find a way to get along and hang out together.

As someone else posted, it's not perfect, but what is? It's great and that's more than enough for me. I'm a happy camper here.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the sound is going to mirror the parts in the source or the amplifier BUT it could also be sonically affected by the compatibility of the source and the amplifier as far as voltage matching (impedance, etc.) which I know is real, but don't UNDERSTAND at all (the engineering of this is beyond me). More likely than sounding "aggressive" (an active, powered line stage has a better chance of this) a passive line stage would sound thin or not lively or lacking dynamics and volume. . . .

THAT is not how organissimo.org sounds! ^_^

B-

I'm a scholar of early print media, and a lot of the problems people identify with relatively informal internet fora like this one were also pretty prevelent in the 1600s when the periodical press got rolling.

I've also checked out some of the other jazz-centric fora, and this is really the only one that attracted me--because it's lively, because people here can be funny, becasue folks seem willing to take you at face value, because someone will usually pick up a challenge and bat the ball back at you, sometimes with some pretty good English on it.

The slippery slope I think we're all on is one of self-indulgence: we shouldn't overindulge in it.

But it's a balance issue, and people's judgements will differ on it, that's where the lively comes from.

A couple of things about the political forum:

1) It does get boring sometimes. It does involve just replaying the same arguments over and over again. And I do think some of the posters there (myself included) ought to be a little more aware of just how utterly predictable some of the posts are. I've seen folks have become more aware of this criticism since Dan laid aside politics for post-Lent, but essentially all it has meant is that articles get cut & pasted with some sort of intro like "this article [which once again rehashes the same old shit] is interesting because [insert utterly transparent fallacious reasoning here]."

I think turning the self-criticism dial up a little bit and turning down the self-indulgence dial will result in a far less noisy but just as active line stage.

2) Some people are going to be turned off by political discussion no matter what, because they don't beleive in it (they know what's right, and the thought of people arguing over it is an absurdity) or they figure music is an escape from things like poilitics. And here, I think the JSngry's comment goes right to the heart of the matter:

Boo fucking hoo.

--eric

I come back here again and again because ...

a] people here are fun to talk to and do care about each other, despite the odd snide remark;

b] there's tons of reliable information to be found in the music threads;

c] I get cakes almost every day;

d] the other boards simply don't excite me nearly as much.

There are a lot more people staying here than leaving, and the community works fine. Compared to other boards, it's actually near perfect.

Why try to please everybody?

Trying that would probably do more harm than good.

Cheers!

Edited for the B) vs. b] bug.

Edited by deus62

A couple of things about the political forum:

1) It does get boring sometimes. It does involve just replaying the same arguments over and over again.

No question about it......but then again, the same can be said for the 'RVG vs McMaster'......'TOCJ vs JRVG'.......'Berigan's fleshy avitars vs. Evan's fleshy signature pic' topics -- well, maybe not that last one...that one hasn't been properly fleshed out yet.

Many topics = skismile.gif .....but that's fine (imo).

.......what Sangry said.

Member#1:

I've always wondered.

Do you post at the Organissimo forum <name deleted>?

I got a little ambitious in that forum, and now I feel a bit ashamed to post there.

Member#2:

I lurked a bit, but all they seem to do is talk about politics and insult each other. If I wanted to discuss politics I would go to a Political BBS.

And the only music they seem to discuss is Blue Note recordings. There is only so much Hard Bop you can discuss or listen to. 

If it made you feel ashamed to post there than it's not the place to be.

I think it's a lack of understanding.

I can see how people would think half of what is said is insulting, but if they look a little closer and spend more time here they would realize most of it is not to be taken seriously.

It's a drag that some people are turned off to our "little piece of Heaven" here. :P

I guess we may come off as bombastic and argumentative, but I see real deep friendships here. It seems like, if a person wants to join the family here, then they're in (I admit, it takes me a little while to remember new names).

I think this is one of the most welcoming places I've been.

I know I consider everyone here as a friend.

Guest Chaney

I wonder if there's a board on the Internet that analyzes its behavior more than we do.

Cripes, what a neurotic bunch. Were we this way on the BN board? Or is it a matter of our never having healed from our rejection and ouster by the suits at BN?

LOOK at you, Alexander, Dr. Rat, RDK, Noj, John B, cowering at the bottom of my screen, looking for validation. GET A SPINE!

Maybe we're ready for a twelve step program.

:blink:

:D

I wonder if there's a board on the Internet that analyzes its behavior more than we do.

Cripes, what a neurotic bunch. Were we this way on the BN board? Or is it a matter of our never having healed from our rejection and ouster by the suits at BN?

LOOK at you, Alexander, Dr. Rat, RDK, Noj, John B, cowering at the bottom of my screen, looking for validation. GET A SPINE!

I was doing something else, I just left the window open (and out goes the piano), I swear to God! (or to carnality, take your pick).

A bit of time on the couch with ourselves is only healthy, besides, so long as we use protection.

--eric

STEP ONE: buy another Mosaic

STEP TWO: buy some cds at Tower's Blue Note Sale

STEP THREE: buy an OOP Hat disc on ebay

etc...

Excuse for my wife: "I didn't get enough validation on the Organissimo board tody so I had to spend another $300 on cds. It is all Chaney's fault!"

B)

Guest Chaney

Excuse for my wife:  "I didn't get enough validation on the Organissimo board tody so I had to spend another $300 on cds.  It is all Chaney's fault!"

B)

OKAY! I'll cover for you AGAIN! Just be sure your validation splurge includes a copy of Eskelin's Forms. :wub:

On another board, my Invisible Man avatar is considered offensive by one member! :blink:  :wacko:

Offensive to whom exactly? Why? How?

I used to joke about the "offense industry." They seem to have made another leap forward!

--eric

Edited by Dr. Rat

I thought this *was* the twelve step program...

Cripes, what a neurotic bunch.  Were we this way on the BN board?  Or is it a matter of our never having healed from our rejection and ouster by the suits at BN?

LOOK at you, Alexander, Dr. Rat, RDK, Noj, John B, cowering at the bottom of my screen, looking for validation.  GET A SPINE! 

If there's anyone here who needs validation, I'd say it's the person who started this thread! :o

;)