Blue Note new recording of a mysterious jazz session of Lee Morgan coming out.

Hardbopjazz

This looks great.

https://store.bluenote.com/pages/blue-note-review?utm_campaign=596740_10.16.24_Blue Note Records_Blue Note Review - Lee Morgan_Full List_231870_US&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dotmailer&dm_i=4YWU,CSG4,5422W0,1XH75,1

NEVER-BEFORE-RELEASED DISCOVERY

Live Jam at The Gate of Horn, Chicago, IL (Probably 1959?)

A ‘mysterious’ jam session featuring an early live recording of Lee Morgan that likely took place in 1959 at the legendary Chicago club The Gate of Horn.

Lee Morgan (Trumpet), Ira Sullivan (Saxophone), Nicky Hill (Saxophone), Bobby Timmons (Piano), Spanky DeBrest (Bass), Philly Joe Jones (Drums)

Edited by Hardbopjazz

20-24-ish minutes of a Live 1959 Jam Session at a Chicago club led by Philly Joe Jones?  Feels kind of underwhelming to me.  And shouldn't this sort of thing be what selling downloads is for?  That box set seems very strange/exploitative.  $225 for four LP's and trinkets?   BN seems to be really milking the cash cow these days in a lot of ways.  Though the upcoming Tyner/Henderson set is very exciting and an essential purchase for me.

Edit - Also being discussed here:

Edited by felser

9 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Ira Sullivan and Nicky Hill? I'm in.

Oh wait, it's only available in a boxed set with stuff I either have or don't want? Annoying.

I'll be more blunt... That's garbage. A) I don't want vinyl B) I don't want other artists playing Lee Morgan (in previously released stuff anyway) only to get C) an unreleased live set from Lee. Personally I love Lee (I have almost everything) and I hope this set bombs. I really hate this Blue Note series/sh*t.

Unreleased bootleg material from Lee Morgan with a one-off band? I'll pass. I didn't even keep that live bootleg from Fresh Sound that claimed to be from the Lighthouse because the sound was terrible. Plus, I already have "Sonic Boom" on CD & vinyl. No need for this new pressing in my mind. Though I'm still not a fan of that LT cover.

Sonic Boom, Primary, 1 of 4

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

The CD of Sonic Boom is a classic, because it also has that extra session with George Coleman.  I wish they gave that session it's own LP name, instead of just referring to it as "bonus tracks."

It was on vinyl as the 2nd LP on the twofer issue of The Procrastinator:

Lee Morgan - The Procrastinator | Releases | Discogs

But it would be great to have it on its own, maybe as Untitled Boogaloo?

I'd love to see the bonus tracks from the CD of Sixth Sense on their own too - I've heard the other two tunes from that session and they are more than release quality, if not exactly a reve;ation.

3 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I'd love to see the bonus tracks from the CD of Sixth Sense on their own too - I've heard the other two tunes from that session and they are more than release quality, if not exactly a revelation.

The only reason those extra two tunes didn't make it was because of Michael Cuscuna didn't feel they were up to snuff. Considering how the current Blue Note is run, I would not be surprised to see that whole session released. If you really want to get it released, just point it out to Zev. He seems to be able to get this type of stuff released.

3 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

The only reason those extra two tunes didn't make it was because of Michael Cuscuna didn't feel they were up to snuff. Considering how the current Blue Note is run, I would not be surprised to see that whole session released. If you really want to get it released, just point it out to Zev. He seems to be able to get this type of stuff released.

I know someone who knows Zev, but if I ever got to talk to him, or anyone at Blue Note, I'm not sure this would be my first priority.

12 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I know someone who knows Zev, but if I ever got to talk to him, or anyone at Blue Note, I'm not sure this would be my first priority.

It wouldn’t be my first priority either — but I’d definitely buy that full session on CD, if for no other reason than it’d be just a little more Frank Mitchell out there in the world.

I’ve never heard the two ‘missing’ tracks before — I know they circulate, but by chance have they been uploaded to YouTube or anything?

Just now checked my shelf and found a CDR of the Lee Morgan session being discussed.

It is Titled "Blues For Mr. Tatum". The CDR I have has 6 tracks as follows:

Blues For Mr. Tatum  7:13

The Sleepwalker  7:11

Mickey's Tune  6:42

The Chief  6:28

Leebop  5:47

Extemporanous  5:15

Lee Morgan, Frank Mitchell, Harold Mabern, Mickey Bass, Billy Higgins

Produced by Duke Pearson

Recorded by Rudy Van Gelder in Englewood, N.J. on September 13, 1963

Total Time: 38:36

3 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

It wouldn’t be my first priority either — but I’d definitely buy that full session on CD, if for no other reason than it’d be just a little more Frank Mitchell out there in the world.

I’ve never heard the two ‘missing’ tracks before — I know they circulate, but by chance have they been uploaded to YouTube or anything?

I heard them on YouTube, not sure if they are still there.  One track, "Blues For Mr. Tatum" IIRC, was pretty standard issue Blue Note boogaloo, not that there's anything wrong with that.

38 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

Just now checked my shelf and found a CDR of the Lee Morgan session being discussed.

It is Titled "Blues For Mr. Tatum". The CDR I have has 6 tracks as follows:

Blues For Mr. Tatum  7:13

The Sleepwalker  7:11

Mickey's Tune  6:42

The Chief  6:28

Leebop  5:47

Extemporanous  5:15

Lee Morgan, Frank Mitchell, Harold Mabern, Mickey Bass, Billy Higgins

Produced by Duke Pearson

Recorded by Rudy Van Gelder in Englewood, N.J. on September 13, 1963

Total Time: 38:36

That's right, except it's 1968 not '63, I thought it was 5 tunes but it's 6 so I guess there's still one I haven't heard.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

• Hardbopjazz changed the title to Blue Note new recording of a mysterious jazz session of Lee Morgan coming out.