Mccoy Tyner and Joe Henderson live at Slugs Saloon (Blue Note)

ghost of miles

1 hour ago, colinmce said:

Looks like the MSRP on the CD is $33 .... why?

The Alliance Entertainment sites (ImportCDs, DeepDiscount, CCMusic) will have it much cheaper, especially ImportCDs.  Dusty will probably also have it cheaper.  Amazon has gotten crazy expensive on a lot of new titles, sort of like post-heyday Tower Records did.

17 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Did Jarrett play at Slugs'? Good question.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/6/5/2100647/-Remembering-Slugs-Saloon-the-hippest-jazz-joint-on-New-York-City-s-Lower-East-Side

Other frequent Slug’s habitués included Philly Joe Jones, Freddie Hubbard, Blakey’s Messengers, Wayne Shorter, and Elvin Jones.  Primack recalled catching Yusef Lateef, Archie Shepp, Herbie Hancock’s earliest sextet explorations, and Keith Jarrett’s rangy quartet with Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden, and Paul Motian.

52 minutes ago, felser said:

The Alliance Entertainment sites (ImportCDs, DeepDiscount, CCMusic) will have it much cheaper, especially ImportCDs.  Dusty will probably also have it cheaper.  Amazon has gotten crazy expensive on a lot of new titles, sort of like post-heyday Tower Records did.

Dusty Groove is where I saw the $33, which surprised me. It's a good $5-6 more than the Elvin Jones 2xCD was, and a good $10 more than all the recent 2xCD Elemental/Zev Feldman things that came out a few months ago. Guess that's the "Tone Poet" bump.

1 hour ago, felser said:

That's one of the many reasons that if I buy a CD, I buy it from Importcds. So many other websites (incl. Blue Note) are overcharging (in my opinion). I'll wait to order until it shows up there.

Thanks for advertising this ! 

Sounds like a dream team for me, four of my favourites on their instruments, and recorded live. Even if maybe sound quality is not up to date, it´s still better than let´s say some studio records where I am almost unable to hear the full drum set if I don´t have headphones. Blessed are those live recordings where you HEAR them snares, them rim-shots, them cymbals, everything...... and I "feel" that it would be almost "invented"  for me. 😀

22 hours ago, felser said:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/6/5/2100647/-Remembering-Slugs-Saloon-the-hippest-jazz-joint-on-New-York-City-s-Lower-East-Side

Other frequent Slug’s habitués included Philly Joe Jones, Freddie Hubbard, Blakey’s Messengers, Wayne Shorter, and Elvin Jones.  Primack recalled catching Yusef Lateef, Archie Shepp, Herbie Hancock’s earliest sextet explorations, and Keith Jarrett’s rangy quartet with Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden, and Paul Motian.

My wife and I went to Slugs one time.  The taxi driver taking us there said it was not a safe area and was I sure I wanted to take my wife there. We went anyway and heard some memorable music that evening. Bill Hardman, Junior Cook, Walter Bishop Jr., Paul Brown and Leroy Williams.

But after leaving the club we had a very hard time finding a taxi, and both my wife and I were rather scared until we did get a cab.

I believe the time we went to Slugs was just prior to when Lee Morgan was shot and killed there.

On 10/2/2024 at 10:46 AM, JSngry said:

Amazon generally price matches on shipping day.

I forgot I had pre-ordered the Hendrix Electric Studio Box.  It was $52 out the door.  $65 via Amazon.  Same with the new Miles Bootleg 8. 

I have not experienced Amazon "price matching".  If between pre-order and ship datge, the price fluctuates, you get the lowest.  But not seeing that much anymore.

Edited by hbbfam

1 hour ago, hbbfam said:

I forgot I had pre-ordered the Hendrix Electric Studio Box.  It was $52 out the door.  $65 via Amazon.  Same with the new Miles Bootleg 8. 

I have not experienced Amazon "price matching".  If between pre-order and ship datge, the price fluctuates, you get the lowest.  But not seeing that much anymore.

And even when they do it, not necessarily that great.  The Dylan 1974 Live box came down on Amazon from $129.99 to $107.99.  Sounds good?  I paid $88.25 + $3.99 shipping (so $92.24 total) on ImportCDs.

12 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

My wife and I went to Slugs one time.  The taxi driver taking us there said it was not a safe area and was I sure I wanted to take my wife there. We went anyway and heard some memorable music that evening. Bill Hardman, Junior Cook, Walter Bishop Jr., Paul Brown and Leroy Williams.

But after leaving the club we had a very hard time finding a taxi, and both my wife and I were rather scared until we did get a cab.

I believe the time we went to Slugs was just prior to when Lee Morgan was shot and killed there.

Very interesting story ! 

But didn´t they have a phone in the club where somebody from the staff could have called a cab for you ? Or is this not usual in NY? 

Here if I wanna cab I let the joint call it for me, and from home to someplace I call the cab by phone myself. 

We are drivin´ a lotta cab because especially for a woman who look´s too attractive it has become dangerous in Viena to go by metrou, even at daytime you are not safe !