Mccoy Tyner and Joe Henderson live at Slugs Saloon (Blue Note)

ghost of miles

Press release:

On November 22, Blue Note Records will release of Forces of Nature: Live at Slugs’, a never-before-issued live recording of jazz legends McCoy Tyner and Joe Henderson leading a stellar quartet with bassist Henry Grimes and drummer Jack DeJohnette at the hallowed lost NYC jazz shrine, Slugs' Saloon, in 1966. The release was produced by Zev Feldman, Jack DeJohnette, and Lydia DeJohnette.
Forces of Nature includes an elaborate booklet with rare photos by Francis Wolff, Raymond Ross, and Robert Polillo; plus liner notes by esteemed author and critic Nate Chinen, and interviews and statements with DeJohnette, Jason Moran, Joe Lovano, Joshua Redman, Christian McBride, Nasheet Waits, and Terri Lyne Carrington. Originally recorded by the legendary engineer Orville O’Brien — who recorded classic 1960s jazz albums such as Freddie Hubbard’s The Night of the Cookers, Charles Tolliver’s Music Inc. and Alice Coltrane's Journey in Satchidananda — the tape has been in DeJohnette's personal archives for nearly 60 years. The 2-LP 180g vinyl set is transferred from the original tape reel and mastered by Matthew Lutthans at The Mastering Lab, who also mastered the 2-CD and digital.

Very interesting release indeed.

What worries me a little is that Orville O'Brien recorded Art Blakey's Live! At Slug's N.Y.C. at the roughly same time at the same venue, but the sound quality is not so good. It's probably better than bootleg, but I wonder how it sounds about this one.

Somehow I think that Blue Note has higher standards than the label that issued the pathetic Art Blakey LP, it wasn't anything like the Jazz Messengers, that was complete false advertising by that label. I returned that crappy LP for its several skips and dreadful sound.

9 hours ago, mhatta said:

Very interesting release indeed.

What worries me a little is that Orville O'Brien recorded Art Blakey's Live! At Slug's N.Y.C. at the roughly same time at the same venue, but the sound quality is not so good. It's probably better than bootleg, but I wonder how it sounds about this one.

"Night Of The Cookers" wasn't very good sound-wise either.

5 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

I'd love to see the setlist...

we've been discussing this release for a while now in this thread here:

The track list is 

In 'N Out; We'll Be Together Again; Taking Off; The Believer; Isotope.

in there is more information over in that thread

2 hours ago, Niko said:

we've been discussing this release for a while now in this thread here:

The track list is 

In 'N Out; We'll Be Together Again; Taking Off; The Believer; Isotope.

in there is more information over in that thread

Thanks--I did a topic search before starting this thread and didn't realize that it was already under discussion in the DeJohnette conversation.

16 hours ago, mhatta said:

Art Blakey's Live! At Slug's N.Y.C.

I really like that one despite the sound quality (and it's certainly listenable).  A Jazz Mesengers group with Billy Harper, Julian Priester, and Ronnie Mathews is quite a valuable document, and I'm glad Blakey was trying some advanced sounds.

29 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Thanks--I did a topic search before starting this thread and didn't realize that it was already under discussion in the DeJohnette conversation.

I agree, it was better hidden than usual...