Hurricane Helene

Bracing ourselves for this storm.  Even though it is way out in the Gulf of Mexico and we are not in the direct path, the storm surge and winds are supposed to be pretty bad here, especially 2 pm today to 1 am.  Sending positive vibes to @Dan Gould @Stonewall15 and everyone else in Florida - and further north, based on the predicted path. 

I was going to start a thread ... getting a nice break from rain right now but sure to deteriorate by evening.  The wind field is gigantic on this sucker.  Even the area of hurricane force winds is very impressive.  I have friends in Tallahassee who are under the gun and a key member of work team in north Georgia who will probably be knocked offline tonight.

Hope all ride this out without any significant damage.

Power up, when I can see outside we'll do the walkaround to make sure no damage.  I won't be terribly surprised if there is some shingle damage to the house though, from prior experience.

Worst part of it all was at the end of the workday, I had urgent tasks nobody else could handle and kept getting power flickers knocking my system down and also preventing saving of work already done ... must have extended my work day by 40 minutes at least.

Now to find out how my colleagues on the coast and the one in north Georgia made out/are making out.

No exterior damage and rain was less than in the August hurricane that came closer but wasn't as powerful. I could tell because the round pen for one of  the horses just had a little mud in one area but the same area had standing water last time.

Remarkably, what I thought was a final electric flicker that knocked the clock radio off was actually a 20 minute outage after I went to bed.  I can't wrap my mind around the fact that the power could go down in the middle of a storm and come back when they should not have been out working anywhere.  But I am thankful, my buddy in Tampa lost power about the same time as TTK and he is still off, with no estimate of restoration yet.