John Coltrane Album Covers

Rabshakeh

Gonna read a lot this weekend, should be fun, thanks!

Wait, might watch a bunch of baseball. Fun there too, thanks!

Or maybe I'll listen to one of my favorite Bill Barron records:

NS04MDIwLmpwZWc.jpeg

If I can find it that is... it's not in the "B"s...

But seriously, my 2-fer is filed with Coltrane because that's the first name on the cover.

Dial_Africa_The_Savoy_Sessions.jpeg

But it's a Wilbur Harden record, and if I would ever come across an OG, it would go under H.

Same thing with this one and Cecil:

NS02NTk4LmpwZWc.jpeg

That's a Cecil Taylor record, period. But it's filed under C anyway...and not for Cecil.

But Coltrane smiles!!!

Back to the original topic - assuming that the reason so many Coltrane albums use photos of Coltrane is simply because Coltrane was a hot ticket (again, relative to the market), maybe the next question is why so many photographers took the same type of photograph of Coltrane?

To that end, I've always like this one quite a lot:

Ni04MTE0LmpwZWc.jpeg

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Back to the original topic - assuming that the reason so many Coltrane albums use photos of Coltrane is simply because Coltrane was a hot ticket (again, relative to the market), maybe the next question is why so many photographers took the same type of photograph of Coltrane?

To that end, I've always like this one quite a lot:

Ni04MTE0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Yeah. Agreed. This one stands out as the Coltrane record with a photo on the front where they did at least try to style it.  I like the strange colouring too.

18 hours ago, jazzbo said:

The original Savoy material also did not feature photos of Coltrane. . . some interesting covers IMO.

On Savoy Coltrane was not the leader, but Wilbur Harden.

https://jazzdiscography.com/Artists/Harden/harden-disc.php

They were reissued with Coltrane listed first to increase sales potential.

I always loved the covers of Mediations and A Love Supreme. Transition is probably the most ugly. I could see what you mean but I must say Coltrane was a pretty photogenic man. He has some kind of natural charisma that shows of on the pictures that were made of him. 

On 9/27/2024 at 8:11 PM, JSngry said:

NS02NTk4LmpwZWc.jpeg

That's a Cecil Taylor record, period. But it's filed under C anyway...and not for Cecil.

But Coltrane smiles!!!

I have that as Cecil Taylor's "Hard Driving Jazz" on United Artists, with the race car cover. It stays in T. It's a pretty strong album, actually. The band plays well with Cecil and even Dorham, who famously hated the circumstances and supposedly tried to undermine the whole thing, comes off sounding good.

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I have that as Cecil Taylor's "Hard Driving Jazz" on United Artists, with the race car cover. It stays in T. It's a pretty strong album, actually. The band plays well with Cecil and even Dorham, who famously hated the circumstances and supposedly tried to undermine the whole thing, comes off sounding good.

"Stereo Drive" in this house.