Classic V-Disc Small Group Jazz #279 – 11 CDs

This new Mosaic coming out looks interesting. 

Classic V-Disc Small Group Jazz Sessions
Limited Edition Box Set
(#279 – 11 CDs)

Preorder Sale Price – $159

Regular Price $179.

Reserve Your Limited Edition Set Today!
Release  Date: October 15

This set collects some of the finest small-group jazz of the artistically turbulent Forties in collaborations that would not have happened otherwise. The V-Disc program did not record every important jazz artist active in those years, but they captured a great deal. These sessions are a fascinating cross-section of small-group jazz, with stars and some musicians never found in jazz history books.

By focusing on small groups and great solos, Mosaic has put together a collection that is more focused and pure than some varied and almost-random V-Disc sets that have appeared over the years, as well as more expansive than the one-or-two CD collections that concentrated on a more narrow set of artists.

These are the artists who would have been appearing on 52nd Street or clubs in LA, as well as superstars who would have beamed into soldiers’ living room radios if they had been home. There couldn’t be a more comprehensive collection of music from these years, much of which would have been lost without these musical documents.

Just had a look at the Mosaic website and am wondering (and puzzled ...) as I did not see a complete artist and track listing so far:

Certainly the list of artists is impressive so you cannot actually talk about "the usual suspects", but still I am wondering:
There were many, many artists who were fairly well-known back then and part of the Swing scene of the 40s (and contributed to the V-Disc catalog) but fell by the wayside in the way jazz history of that period is covered by scribes (particularly by latter-day ones).
So ... Will this set include a representative sampling of the offerings of small groups led by the likes of Loumell Morgan, Mary Greene, Page Cavanaugh, Vivian Garry, Les Paul etc.?
That would contribute to filling long-glaring gaps in the history the Swing Era of those years.

After all (and not least of all) some of the big "name" artists on V-Disc have already been round the block in various guises on the reissue market anyway.

Not hedging my bets nor hoping for anything but I just felt this question deserved to be asked ... ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

29 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Just had a look at the Mosaic website and am wondering (and puzzled ...) as I did not see a complete artist and track listing so far:

Certainly the list of artists is impressive so you cannot actually talk about "the usual suspects", but still I am wondering:
There were many, many artists who were fairly well-known back then and part of the Swing scene of the 40s (and contributed to the V-Disc catalog) but fell by the wayside in the way jazz history of that period is covered by scribes (particularly by latter-day ones).
So ... Will this set include a representative sampling of the offerings of small groups led by the likes of Loumell Morgan, Mary Greene, Page Cavanaugh, Vivian Garry, Les Paul etc.?
That would contribute to filling long-glaring gaps in the history the Swing Era of those years.

After all (and not least of all) some of the big "name" artists on V-Disc have already been round the block in various guises on the reissue market anyway.

Not hedging my bets nor hoping for anything but I just felt this question deserved to be asked ... ;)

Scroll down under the blurb where it says Description & Audio Clips. Next to that is a toggle for Discography that lists the full contents.

And per your query, yes, there are a number of more obscure artists represented with this caveat at the end:

Due to space limitations we had to eliminate many sessions that were initially chosen for this set since they have very little or no jazz content. Others were eliminated because they are basically arranged performances with no or very little improvisation (like the Joe Marsala date from August 1947). We are hoping to release a set of big band V-Discs in addition to one of Benny Goodman’s V-Discs, so those were eliminated from this set as well.

We apologize for the omission of any of your favorite artists listed below.

Hoagy Carmichael
Pat Flowers
Harry “The Hipster” Gibson and Friends
Marie Greene and her V-Disc Merry Men
Edgar Hayes and his Stardusters
Calvin Jackson
Herb Jeffries with Eddie Beal and his Group
Louis Jordan and his Tympany Five
Evelyn Knight accompanied by Herman Chittison Trio
Monica Lewis and her V-Disc Friends
Joe Marsala
Joe Mooney Quartet
Les Paul Trio
Kay Penton with Tad Dameron and Group
Plink, Plank and Plunk (Tiger Haynes, Wilson Myers and Cliff Jackson)
Tommy Todd and his Trio
Buddy Weed and his Trio
Chris Griffin

Edited by colinmce

2 hours ago, colinmce said:

Scroll down under the blurb where it says Description & Audio Clips. Next to that is a toggle for Discography that lists the full contents.

And per your query, yes, there are a number of more obscure artists represented with this caveat at the end:

A set of Goodman V-Discs as well?!  Maybe the apparent PD status of these recordings is going to enable Mosaic to bypass the notoriously obstinate Goodman estate?