Nick Gravenites RIP

RiRiIII

4 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Back in the late '60s he screamed at me in public for "swallowing the bullshit stuff of the AACM".

I have this early 45

NzQtMzk2Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

The band includes Roscoe Mitchell, Elvin Bishop, Mike Bloomfield, Paul Butterfield and Steve McCall

50 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Upon reflection, it was Mike Bloomfield screaming at me.

Gravenites had mentioned the following for this 45 record: https://www.bluespower.com/a-ngbtb.htm

"Jeff [Spitz] decided that it was time to go into the record business, and he arranged a session at CBS studios in Chicago for his new label, Out Of Sight Records, a name suggested by Pete Welding, a musicologist and record producer who was living in Hyde Park. We cut two of my songs, "Whole Lotta Soul" and "Drunken Boat." These are the musicians on my first recording session: Nick Gravenites, vocal and guitar; Mike Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop, guitar; Paul Butterfield, harmonica; Erwin Helfer, harpsichord; Scotty Holt, Bass; Steve McCall, drums; Lester Bowie, trumpet; Julian Priester, trombone; Roscoe Mitchell, alto sax. We got two bizarre-sounding songs, had a thousand copies made; five hundred got lost in a warehouse somewhere, we gave away four hundred and sold a hundred". (Nick Gravenites in his book Bad Talkin' Bluesman)"

^^^Has it ever been reissued? I doubt. I am looking for it for years, in vain...

Edited by RiRiIII

20 minutes ago, Steve Gray said:

Indeed, thank you.

It is Side A of this single featuring "Chicago blues pianist Erwin Helfer playing harpsichord, AACM drummer Steve McCall, possibly Scotty Holt on bass, and Nick's close friend, Paul Butterfield, on harp".

However at Side B "Whole Lot of Soul." more AACM musicians perform as mentioned by @Chuck Nessa  above and by Gravenites [Lester Bowie, trumpet; Julian Priester, trombone; Roscoe Mitchell, alto sax]. It would be great this B-Side to be shared as well. Perhaps @Chuck Nessa can help us. Thank you!

https://www.discogs.com/release/12818010-Nick-The-Greek-Drunken-Boat

Edited by RiRiIII