Arthur Edgehill RIP

Dan Gould

Loren Schoenberg shares on FB:

Arthur Edgehill (actually name was Edghill) is known primarily for the great recordings he made int he 1950's and 60's with Kenny Dorham and Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis.
Just a couple of months ago, he returned to NY from Florida to visit family. We arranged an extensive oral history interview conducted by Kenny Washington that will be shared by the National Jazz Museum in Harlem.

His family has asked us to share the details of his memorial service and internment.

Clifford Arthur Edghill
A Celebration of Life
July 21, 1926-September 10, 2024
Services will be held Saturday, September 21, 2024
11 am Family Visitation & Viewing
12 Noon Celebration Service
Location: The Gospel Hall (The Brooklyn Church of the Brethern) 515 Classon Ave (Between Putnam and Fulton St) Brooklyn NY
The Repast immediately following the service.
Everyone is invited to join us for lunch in the fellowship hall of the church.
The Interment Monday Sept 23, 2024 9:00 am Washington Crossing National Cemetery 830 Highland Road Newtown, PA 18940

In lieu of flowers you can donate to the National Jazz Museum in Harlem in Arthur Edghill’s name: The National Jazz Museum in Harlem 58 W 129th St, Ground Floor 2203 New York, NY 10027

Should definitely listen to the KD Bohemia recordings - and I will also listen to the four Harold Ashby shows that feature Edgehill on drums in the Phil Schaap Collection at Vandy.

23 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I had no idea he was still with us. 98 is a good run.

Here is a snip of a photo Loren shared on FB of Mr. Edgehill during the oral history interview from earlier this summer.  He certainly looks younger than 98!

Screenshot 2024-09-18 114017.jpg

Edited by Dan Gould

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

According to Al Fielder (RIP), Arthur was playing a heck of a lot of golf down in Florida!

Does it keep the mind sharp? Cause sitting for an extensive interview about events so long ago as you're approaching 98 is definitely something.

RIP.  I wish he recorded more, considering his excellent performance with Kenny Dorham's band, but he must have had a long and full life.
A fine example of Mr. Edghill's tasteful drumming. I wonder where the unreleased tapes of this session have gone?

I never saw his name elswhere than on that Kenny Dorham live CD, never had heard his name before and not after....
He seems to be a solid swinger on that album, but maybe I would have liked more rhythm "happening" like what Roy Haynes or Elvin Jones might do, but sure it is okay.

But what did he do after that, and in Florida ? Had he other financial sources than music, because I can´t imagine he made a live from playing music, or was he teaching ???