The 50 Best Stevie Wonder Songs

rostasi

So many good songs in that list. "Black Man" has always been a favorite with its intricate percussions. Superwoman as well, especially the slower part starting at around 3 min into the song. This one is a favorite as well, but perhaps due to memories of listening to it with my girlfriend in college :)

3 minutes ago, hopkins said:

So many good songs in that list. "Black Man" has always been a favorite with its intricate percussions. Superwoman as well, especially the slower part starting at around 3 min into the song. This one is a favorite as well, but perhaps due to memories of listening to it with my girlfriend in college :)

I was going to post "Maybe your Baby" should be on the list. What a song. Great versions by Syreeta and Gary Bartz.

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

I thought that this one was schmaltzy until I was called upon to play it. It's masterful.

Good song indeed. I'm a sucker for his "schmaltz" - I'll even admit to liking "I just called to say I love you"! Can't get schmaltzier than that... I only play it (and Luther Vandross as well) when my wife is not around - she can't stand it!

Edited by hopkins

24 minutes ago, felser said:

And "Another Star" is MIA...

Great song, and lyrics as well:

"For you there might be another star

But through my eyes the light of you is all I see

For you there might be another song

But in my heart your melody will stay with me"

Listening to it right now: the music in this song is really captivating. There's so much going on, so many different sounds, but all perfectly intertwined. 

From Wikipedia:

Taken from album liner notes[7]

George Benson – guitar, background vocals[8]

Nathan Watts – bass

Nathan Alford Jr. – percussion

Carmello Hungria Garcia – timbales

Trevor Lawrence – tenor saxophone

Hank Redd – alto saxophone

Raymond Maldonado – trumpet

Steve Madaio – trumpet

Bobbi Humphrey – flute[9]

Josie James – background vocals

Edited by hopkins

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

John Prine "I Just Called To Say I Love You" (Oh Boy Records) 2018 .... surpasses the original version ....

Somehow I missed this recording when it was released, thank you for sharing.  I may have to seek out the 7" single for this (it's not on any of his albums).