Examples of Archival Jazz Recordings Remixed with Digital Extraction Technologies

Teasing the Korean

Digital technologies available in recent years allow for the extraction and isolation of various instruments, even with mono recordings.  

Are there examples of older jazz recordings with less-than-optimal mixes being reissued in recent years using digital de-mixing technologies to remix them?  For example, could Mingus's bass on Massey Hall be isolated and brought up in the mix?

I know that this technology has been applied to some pop records, but I wonder about jazz.  I assume there wouldn't be much financial incentive to do so.

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Digital technologies available in recent years allow for the extraction and isolation of various instruments, even with mono recordings.  

Are there examples of older jazz recordings with less-than-optimal mixes being reissued in recent years using digital de-mixing technologies to remix them?  For example, could Mingus's bass on Massey Hall be isolated and brought up in the mix?

I know that this technology has been applied to some pop records, but I wonder about jazz.  I assume there wouldn't be much financial incentive to do so.

I imagine the software gets cheaper with each passing year, so in the near future you'll be able to do it.

It's been available to the general public for years.
I use it at times, but never have thought to alter a jazz recording.
Not aware of actual re-released jazz recordings that have been
altered in this way, but it wouldn't surprise me if they existed.

(I'm assuming you aren't referring to things like
"Kind of Blue"-type enhancements and so forth).

Edited by rostasi

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Not at all sure that Mingus/Massey Hall would be the best use for this technology, or even a good one.

Well, it's all subjective, but inaudible bass typically leads to my unloading a record.  I can't remember if there is enough bass on the original to bring it out further.  But I have the version where Mingus overdubbed the bass, so in that sense, it is probably not the best example.