Miles in France – Miles Davis Quintet 1963/64: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 8

bluesForBartok

I don't want to rehash this or hijack this thread, but I've got a question. I was looking through my collection and noticed that I didn't have Miles Davis and John Coltrane: The Final Tour. I'm assuming I didn't buy it because I already had some prior version.

I assume the material in that volume was previously released. Was it? What were the titles? Thanks.

That box contains: Paris’ L’Olympia Theater on Monday, March 21; two shows from the next night at Stockholm’s Konserthuset; and one from Copenhagen’s Tivolis Koncertsal three days later, on March 24.

These have been released a number of times on various labels including Dragon, Laserlight/Delta.

I will say this: they sound their best in this box set.

Edited by jazzbo

4 hours ago, jazzbo said:

That box contains: Paris’ L’Olympia Theater on Monday, March 21; two shows from the next night at Stockholm’s Konserthuset; and one from Copenhagen’s Tivolis Koncertsal three days later, on March 24.

These have been released a number of times on various labels including Dragon, Laserlight/Delta.

I will say this: they sound their best in this box set.

Thanks... I find it impossible to keep track of how many ways they splice these up and resell them.

4 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

Thanks... I find it impossible to keep track of how many ways they splice these up and resell them.

Well to be honest this is the first time that Sony/Columbia has sold these--they were only available via European labels before. Somewhat officially and somewhat unofficially depending on who you ask!

Edited by jazzbo

Lotta these discs are sub 45-minutes each, if it’s 4+ hrs spread across 6 discs.  Maybe that’s ok, because it’s one set per disc (with seemingly the one set that’s over 79 minutes split between two discs).

I’ll probably break down and get it eventually, if I can ever find it for about $50/$55 (which might have to be used) — but I have to confess to not listening to my Seven Steps box a whole ton in the last 15 years.

I passed on Vol 7, btw — but I do have all of the first 6 volumes.

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Lotta these discs are sub 45-minutes each, if it’s 4+ hrs spread across 6 discs.  Maybe that’s ok, because it’s one set per disc (with seemingly the one set that’s over 79 minutes split between two discs).

I passed on Vol 7, btw — but I do have all of the first 6 volumes.

5 hours 46 minutes total for the new set  4+ hours of it previously officially unreleased.  I eventually broke down and bought a used copy of Vol. 7, and it was better than I expected, the live stuff being the most rewarding. Where I've drawn the line is the later albums on WB and the ridiculous prices on the Complete On The Corner box (I've owned it but cashed it in).

I think that was the one where I took a gamble on some site mispricing it for stoopid cheap and then actually honoring it.

But I would have paid full list on it because the unreleased stuff is just freaking amazing. Every body except the Bootleg Series peoples have either caught up to it, are catching up to it. Or choosing to remain in a place where it never happened, although obviously it did 

To have it in one place like that magnifies the impact as opposed to spreading it out over a bunch of records.

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

I got the OTC box for a really good price!

How much and about when?

Just curiosity, as I got mine the month it came out with one of those crazy 40% off coupons on one item from Barnes and Nobel (in-store)— so I kinda got it for a song (might still have the receipt for it in the box, I’ll have to look).

Got my Jack Johnson box the same way. One of them might have even been a 50% off coupon, come to think of it.

Now that was essentially 40% (of 50%) off FULL-list-price — but that still brought it down to well less than $10/disc iirc.

Edited by Rooster_Ties