Sergio Mendes RIP

Teasing the Korean

Hold on.

Lani left while the Stillness album was half finished.  I think it was 1971.

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66* - Stillness

She was replaced for the remainder of the album by Gracinha Leporace.  Gracinha had previously been a member of a group which I believe Mendes controlled called Bossa Rio.  Bossa Rio also included Manfredo Fest.

I don't know when Mendes and Gracinha started dating.

I believe that Karen left in 1972 because she was cast as Nurse Dish in the pilot of the MASH tv show, which started in 1972.  I don't know why she was not included in the cast when the show was picked up.

The Carnival was a vocal quartet consisting of Janis Hansen and Jose Soares from Brasil '66, along with Terry Fischer of The Murmaids and a guy named Tommy Neal.  I had their one album on World Pacific, but that was it.

Cover of Carnival

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Carnival_(band)

Speaking of dating, those bossa nova guys all married each other.  Brasil '65's singer was Wanda de Sa.  She went on to marry Edu Lobo, a popular composer who put out one album on A&M called Sergio Mendes Presents.

Brasil '65 - SHMSergio Mendes Presents Lobo by Edu Lobo

Edited by GA Russell

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

Speaking of dating, those bossa nova guys all married each other.  Brasil '65's singer was Wanda de Sa.  She went on to marry Edu Lobo, a popular composer who put out one album on A&M called Sergio Mendes Presents.

"Blame it on the bossa nova, the dance of love" - Eydie Gorme

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

TTK, I believe what you say is incorrect.  I saw an article about Brasil'66 on the JazzTimes website some months ago, but I can't find it now.  It said that the entire Brasil '66 group was unhappy and quit, including Lani.  Lani said that she was just going along with everybody else.  Alpert persuaded Mendes that Hall was the star, and that he should persuade her to come back.

I don't know if Alpert and Hall were already dating at that time.

I've heard different versions, and I suppose it depends in part on who you ask.  If they weren't technically fired, it may have been an untenable situation if they all left en masse.