Sergio Mendes RIP

Teasing the Korean

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Fine TV scores too, like It Takes A Thief.

And I think it's ok to like this one:

https://youtu.be/-0KpIEWleuQ?si=r9-A0HdldOQfJs8k

I think I mentioned in another thread that, when I was getting into jazz, I avoided Dave Grusin, but didn't realize he wrote all this great TV and film music in the 60s and 70s.  I love his scores for Three Days of the Condor, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, and The Yakuza. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Did you try to recreate those string voicings for the brass or reeds? Is that Richard Hazard?

No, I've been playing that song since I heard the SM version over 30 years ago, so I just used my own stuff. One thing I did copy was Lani Hall's beautiful subtle changing of the melody on the words "One must be right for me". I gave it to the alto.

I remember working with this keyboard player who called Lani Hall "the whitest singer that ever lived". If that nuance she added is 'white', then he can shove it. That was the main reason I chose that song.

I'm assuming that you don't have Netflix, and didn't see that movie I was talking about "They Shot The Piano Player". It's like the thing was made for you.

27 minutes ago, sgcim said:

No, I've been playing that song since I heard the SM version over 30 years ago, so I just used my own stuff. One thing I did copy was Lani Hall's beautiful subtle changing of the melody on the words "One must be right for me". I gave it to the alto.

I remember working with this keyboard player who called Lani Hall "the whitest singer that ever lived". If that nuance she added is 'white', then he can shove it. That was the main reason I chose that song.

I'm assuming that you don't have Netflix, and didn't see that movie I was talking about "They Shot The Piano Player". It's like the thing was made for you.

Funny how different our ears are.  I think Lani has a very soulful voice.

I'll check out "They Shot The Piano Player" when we have Netflix next.

RIP Sergio Mendes!

This has stunned me much more than the passings of others noted here.

I remember seeing Brasil '66 on TV for the first time.  It was the summer of '66, on the Tonight Show, and they sang Mas Que Nada.

My favorite song when I was in high school was Constant Rain, which was from their second album, Equinox, which at that time was one of my favorite albums.

21 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Funny how different our ears are.  I think Lani has a very soulful voice.

I'll check out "They Shot The Piano Player" when we have Netflix next.

Yeah, this guy was off the wall. We were playing a one day cruise on the west side of Manhattan, and I told him I didn't like his use of a maj6th chord on the bridge of September Song. He said, "Oh, you didn't like that change, huh, let's see how you like this.." And he knee-dropped my poor little Roland Cube amp so it rolled over, right to the edge of the deck of the boat. Then,when I yelled at him for almost sending my defenseless Cube into the Hudson River, he said, "Come on, I'll send you overboard, too!"

My amp seemed alright, so I just let it go. He looked like Charles Manson, so he used to get picked up by the cops for just looking dangerous. He was voted by his high school as "Most Likely To Become a Serial Killer" I saw his obit online a number of years back. He died when he was only 36.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

"white" and "soulful" are not mutually exclusive qualities.

He had some strong opinions on white female singers. he was always complaining about how out of tune Madonna sounded, and claimed to have inside knowledge of all the 'casting couches' she 'slept' on to get to the top. But where does that leave the "#Me, Too" movement?

10 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Has anyone seen a comment from Lani Hall following Sergio's passing?

I've often wondered about their relationship.  Sergio did, after all, try to fire Lani, along with the rest of the original lineup, until Lani's boyfriend reminded Sergio of who was in charge.  Don't know if that is water under the bridge, or if that permanently affected their relationship.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I've often wondered about their relationship.  Sergio did, after all, try to fire Lani, along with the rest of the original lineup, until Lani's boyfriend reminded Sergio of who was in charge.  Don't know if that is water under the bridge, or if that permanently affected their relationship.

Not sure it proves anything, but the DVD release of the Sergio Mendes documentary "In the Key of Joy" has the following quote from Lani Hall on its cover:

"I'm forever grateful to him for changing the course of my life."

5 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

TTK, I believe what you say is incorrect.  I saw an article about Brasil'66 on the JazzTimes website some months ago, but I can't find it now.  It said that the entire Brasil '66 group was unhappy and quit, including Lani.  Lani said that she was just going along with everybody else.  Alpert persuaded Mendes that Hall was the star, and that he should persuade her to come back.

I don't know if Alpert and Hall were already dating at that time.

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

Yet Karen was there after Lani left, it looks like?

No, I believe she and the other alums/outcasts all became the Carnival.  

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yet Karen was there after Lani left, it looks like?

EDIT:  The Carnival had the other woman, forget her name.  Not sure when Karen arrived.