Sergio Mendes RIP

Teasing the Korean

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The artist who brought us 'The Most Complex Pop Song of All Time', according to Rick Beato

I don't have the technical knowledge to second that. I just enjoy his records. Especially the early ones.

RIP

Edited by Mark13

For many of us in the US, Brasil '66 and Getz & Gilberto were the primary gateways into Brazilian music.  In the 1990s and early part of the millennium, with the revival of Bossa and Brazilian music in the US, it became trendy to put down Brasil '66 as not being "authentic," a problematic word if there ever was one.  As one of those who was scarfing up as many Brazilian LPs and CDs as I could find during that time, I never engaged in the Brasil '66 bashing.  I loved them in the 1960s and I love them now.

I saw Sergio live in 2008, and he signed autographs after the show.  I had my copy of The Swinger from Rio for him to sign.  When I got to the front of line, I asked, "Excuse me, but aren't you the swinger from Rio?"  He smiled and replied, "I used to be!"

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

For many of us in the US, Brasil '66 and Getz & Gilberto were the primary gateways into Brazilian music.  In the 1990s and early part of the millennium, with the revival of Bossa and Brazilian music in the US, it became trendy to put down Brasil '66 as not being "authentic," a problematic word if there ever was one.  As one of those who was scarfing up as many Brazilian LPs and CDs as I could find during that time, I never engaged in the Brasil '66 bashing.  I loved them in the 1960s and I love them now.

I saw Sergio live in 2008, and he signed autographs after the show.  I had my copy of The Swinger from Rio for him to sign.  When I got to the front of line, I asked, "Excuse me, but aren't you the swinger from Rio?"  He smiled and replied, "I used to be!"

Great closing paragraph! Have you seen that Netflix film, "They Shot The Piano Player" yet? It involves a Brazilian "Samba Jazz" pianist, Francisco Tenório Júnior, a young Brazilian samba-jazz pianist who disappeared in Buenos Aires on March 18, 1976. He only put out one album as a leader, when he was only 22, but went on to play on many important Jazz Samba/Bossa Nova records as a sideman. I posted on it in the Miscellaneous Music section amonth ago.

RIP, Sergio. You brought the world some great music that people are too stupid to appreciate now.

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

In the 1990s and early part of the millennium, with the revival of Bossa and Brazilian music in the US, it became trendy to put down Brasil '66 as not being "authentic," a problematic word if there ever was one.  

Huh? I was a young youth at the time, but whatever 1990s culture industry spigot I was drinking from at the time led me to believe that Sergio Mendes was "cool". I had an image in my head of him as some sort of Alain Delon figure. An exemplar of the 1960s high culture chic.

I remember being pretty shocked when streaming happened, and I first actually heard Brazil '66 for myself. Turns out Mendes was never in fact "cool". 

Good records though. Some of the best in that zone.

RIP. 

29 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Huh? I was a young youth at the time, but whatever 1990s culture industry spigot I was drinking from at the time led me to believe that Sergio Mendes was "cool". I had an image in my head of him as some sort of Alain Delon figure. An exemplar of the 1960s high culture chic.

I remember being pretty shocked when streaming happened, and I first actually heard Brazil '66 for myself. Turns out Mendes was never in fact "cool". 

Good records though. Some of the best in that zone.

RIP. 

Not sure I understand your second paragraph.