BFT 246

mjazzg

7 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Finally got some time:

1. Bass is roaring and this is a good groove. Sounds like something Tenderlonious was influenced by actually. Trumpet sounds like Freddie a little bit. I like this song quite a bit. No idea who to guess though. 

This has been ID'd should you want to look and you're a lot, lot closer than you realise. Not Hubbard

2. Love that intro. Feel like I know this drummer but can't name them. Pianist is familiar too, Bobby Timmons? 

No Americans on this

3. Fucking lovely. Would love to see a band like this live. Reminds me of Le Rex but I don't think it's them. 

I've seen the leader but not in this band. I don't know le Rex but if they sound like this I need to, thanks for the intro

4. Another winner. No idea who but the sax player is going wild. Drummer is killing it too, and the vibes solo is right nasty. 

5. Thought this was going to be all solo but those drums came in and set it off. Bass solo is tight. Whole song is nice. 

6. Loving this one too. Intro groove is ridiculous and the whole song is excellent. Billy Bang? 

Not Billy, we have a tune ID for this but not an artist or album

7. Sounds like a 70s tune. There's some cheese but the bass line saves it. Drummer does some carrying too. No guesses. 

Correct decade.

8. Interesting intro. Notice the poor recording quality but that's not keeping me from hearing some good stuff. 

9. A favorite so far. Whole thing is glorious. Sounds almost like it's live in places. 

Great, isn't it. Not live, as far as I know

10. This is familiar and I wonder if I have it or where I've heard it. Of course, I have no idea who to guess. The pianist's facility is impressive. Is it Melford? 

Not Myra but I hear where you're coming from. I suspect the pianist would be pleased with the comparison. Leader has extensive discography so you may well have heard them before

11. Helluva rhythmic build up and quite a ride on the way there. This is wild as hell. Will love to see who this is. Ok, that bass line has been sampled...

12. Sounds like Sanders. If it's not him, someone has drawn near complete inspiration from him. Im not sure of the song though. I love it. 

No not Sanders but the influence is obvious and I think very deliberately so

Unfortunately I can't finish the rest. I'll have to come back and revisit. Stunningly good BFT. Thanks for putting this together! 

So pleased you enjoyed what you heard @Dub Modal. I was hoping you'd get to listen to the BFT as I suspect there's quite an overlap in our tastes from previous posts etc.

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

#8 is Joe Harriot, I have it on Jazzland, but I know that's not the original British source.

Yes, it's Joe, yes this tune is on the Jazzland and yes this version is from another source

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Is it wrong to like track #3? I don't know who it is, could be a lot of contemporary things, but I like it.

recognize #4 but cannot place it.

they cut that track too short IMO!

Well I'd definitely say there's no harm in liking #3, it's not bang up to date, over 20 years old

#4 is definitely too short, they're tunes are usually longer but BFT time restraints dictate

19 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

#7 is Harry Beckett, recognize that sound anywhere.

Ray Russell on guitar, it sounds like.

"Glowing" from Joy Unlimited, right? Haven't dug this one out in ages.

Yes, yes and yes! I was thinking you'd get this one 

That's the first complete artist, track, album ID

Time to play it again perhaps ...

Just now, clifford_thornton said:

the vocals on #14 are somewhere between Jacqui McShee and Norma Winstone. I like it.

Exactly, it's at that intersection that the group's music predominantly sits too. Very impressive live

excellent BFT. I'll listen through again and see if I get any others that haven't already been mentioned.

Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for listening.

A couple of artists in there that are definitely on your radar, if not necessarily these particular albums

8 hours ago, mjazzg said:

So pleased you enjoyed what you heard @Dub Modal. I was hoping you'd get to listen to the BFT as I suspect there's quite an overlap in our tastes from previous posts etc.

Yes, it's Joe, yes this tune is on the Jazzland and yes this version is from another source

https://jazzinbritain1.bandcamp.com/album/formation-live-61

this is where the Harriott is from. Track is "Calypso Sketches."

have this album buried in my bandcamp, I haven't listened to it a whole lot but it's a good session.

too much stuff that I only have digitally gets lost in the, er, shuffle.

I know that feeling all too well. I have the physical release for the Harriott

1 hour ago, adh1907 said:

Track 12 sounds like Nat Birchall with Rachel Gladwin on the harp. I thought it was off Sacred Dimension, which I have, but it appears not. 

Not Nat but I can absolutely understand your thinking on that. The leader is a contemporary but isn't a sax player.

There's no harp credited but a similar instrument of which I suspect you've listened to in other settings.

Edited by mjazzg

2 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Pat Thomas?

No, not Pat who does indeed sport a fine hat. Although I could happily do an entire BFT of his recordings, not sure it would be too popular beyond you and me though...

Edited by mjazzg