BFT 246

mjazzg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me or are quite a few of these tunes with very strong bassists, whether they solo prominently or not?

Anywhooo ...

1. Hard swing as a set-opener and me likey.  3 stars but subject to re-evaluation based on the rest of the selections.

2. More relaxed tempo and I like this one quite a bit. 3.5 stars.

3. Sorry not feeling this. 2 stars, cause I am generous.

4. I'll go with Booby Hutcherson.  3 stars.

5. OK but goes in the bucket with #3.

6.  Violin is a nope for me, especially when its not in a swing groove, where I can tolerate in small doses.

7. This one grew on me, but I am longing for something closer to tracks 1 or 2.

8 - 15.  Various degrees of this is for someone, But Not For Me. 

In hindsight, Track 1 and 2 each get an additional half star. Curious about those for sure.

Thanks for the tunes!

3 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Is it me or are quite a few of these tunes with very strong bassists, whether they solo prominently or not?

Anywhooo ...

1. Hard swing as a set-opener and me likey.  3 stars but subject to re-evaluation based on the rest of the selections.

2. More relaxed tempo and I like this one quite a bit. 3.5 stars.

3. Sorry not feeling this. 2 stars, cause I am generous.

4. I'll go with Booby Hutcherson.  3 stars.

5. OK but goes in the bucket with #3.

6.  Violin is a nope for me, especially when its not in a swing groove, where I can tolerate in small doses.

7. This one grew on me, but I am longing for something closer to tracks 1 or 2.

8 - 15.  Various degrees of this is for someone, But Not For Me. 

In hindsight, Track 1 and 2 each get an additional half star. Curious about those for sure.

Thanks for the tunes!

Thanks for taking the time to listen. I'll take your two "curious" ratings any day of the week.

Any bassist thread is coincidental, there's only one bass leader and that's a co-lead

4. Not Booby

Well, this will be fun!  As I seem to represent the yang to Dan’s yin in BFT Land, I’ll try to indicate how I think Dan will react to each cut, as well as my response:

1 – This is a wonderful cut, love the rhythm section and ensemble work, as well as the composition!  Solos don’t jump out at me, but they are solid.  Brother Dan should also appreciate this one.  I hope I have this on the shelves somewhere!  Sounds like it is from the 60’s, but could well be much later vintage on a label like Criss Cross. 

2 – This is a good cut, but does not strike my fancy the way cut #1 did.  I have a ton of this sort of thing, and nothing about this cut makes it stand out to me.   Dan may like it OK.

3 – Not as common-sounding as the previous cut, pretty interesting, but not overly compelling, and the ringing instrument (guitar, I guess) gets old.  Dan will not be amused by this cut.

4 – Energetic and bracing.  I like this quite a bit.  Dan will not.   Love this style of bass playing, Charlie Haden influenced.  The vibes style is quite unexpected.  Also hope I have this on the shelves.  Surely it is from the 60’s?   My favorite cut on the BFT.  Given some time, I might be able to ID this.

5 – It’s good, almost grabs me, but not quite.  Outlives its welcome for me  Dan will not approve of this cut.

6 – Interesting cut.  I fully enjoy it and it grows on me as I listen, unlike some of the other cuts where I lose interest.  Billy Bang?  Hope I have this on the shelves.  This cut will have Dan cringing.

7 – This one will have Dan dancing in the aisles (relatively speaking)!   Clark Terry?  Could be Dizzy?  Doesn’t do much for me – I don’t particularly like “island rhythm” based music.

8 – This sounds like it is vinyl-sourced.  Good cut, though Dan likely won’t think so.   Doesn’t knock me out, but pleasant listening.  Not something I would seek out.

9 – “World Music” I guess.  Not a winner for me, and surely not for Dan.

10 – Another “no thank you” for both Dan and me.  Stalling out.  “You were running well, who hindered you?” (Galatians 5:7a)

11 – See #10, though this is a slight improvement.  But New Orleans Second Line doesn’t do it for me either, and I doubt it does it for Dan.

12 – Much better, though Dan won’t think so.   Heavy Pharoah Sanders influence, though it’s not him.   But is trying to be.   I have a ton of this sort of thing already, may have this.  If not, might be interested in grabbing it, depending on details.

13 – I shouldn’t like this, but I do OK to a point.  Dan won’t.  

14 – My wife would really like this, and I like it OK.  A singer who grew up listening to Joni Mitchell’s ‘Hejira’ and her other work with Metheny and Jaco.  Grows on me as I listen, and I look forward to the ID.  Doubt if Dan will care for this one.

15 – A group that grew up listening to later Weather Report albums.  Dan won’t like this, and it doesn't do a ton for me.

Mark, thanks for this BFT.  Several bracing cuts in the first half that leave me thirsting for the ID’s.  And you have very broad tastes, which is great for a BFT, even if they don’t all “hit” for me!  1,4,6 are the huge winners for me, with 12 getting honorable mention.

26 minutes ago, felser said:

Well, this will be fun!  As I seem to represent the yang to Dan’s yin in BFT Land, I’ll try to indicate how I think Dan will react to each cut, as well as my response:

1 – This is a wonderful cut, love the rhythm section and ensemble work, as well as the composition!  Solos don’t jump out at me, but they are solid.  Brother Dan should also appreciate this one.  I hope I have this on the shelves somewhere!  Sounds like it is from the 60’s, but could well be much later vintage on a label like Criss Cross. 

The tune is from the 60s, the performance is not

2 – This is a good cut, but does not strike my fancy the way cut #1 did.  I have a ton of this sort of thing, and nothing about this cut makes it stand out to me.   Dan may like it OK.

3 – Not as common-sounding as the previous cut, pretty interesting, but not overly compelling, and the ringing instrument (guitar, I guess) gets old.  Dan will not be amused by this cut.

4 – Energetic and bracing.  I like this quite a bit.  Dan will not.   Love this style of bass playing, Charlie Haden influenced.  The vibes style is quite unexpected.  Also hope I have this on the shelves.  Surely it is from the 60’s?   My favorite cut on the BFT.  Given some time, I might be able to ID this.

Glad you like it, I'll look forward to your ID...although you may need to reconsider your initial dating

5 – It’s good, almost grabs me, but not quite.  Outlives its welcome for me  Dan will not approve of this cut.

6 – Interesting cut.  I fully enjoy it and it grows on me as I listen, unlike some of the other cuts where I lose interest.  Billy Bang?  Hope I have this on the shelves.  This cut will have Dan cringing.

Not Bang, I'll be very surprised if you have this one John. You may have versions of the tune though

7 – This one will have Dan dancing in the aisles (relatively speaking)!   Clark Terry?  Could be Dizzy?  Doesn’t do much for me – I don’t particularly like “island rhythm” based music.

Not Clark or Diz

8 – This sounds like it is vinyl-sourced.  Good cut, though Dan likely won’t think so.   Doesn’t knock me out, but pleasant listening.  Not something I would seek out.

9 – “World Music” I guess.  Not a winner for me, and surely not for Dan.

10 – Another “no thank you” for both Dan and me.  Stalling out.  “You were running well, who hindered you?” (Galatians 5:7a)

This is where I didn't leave my avant leanings at home

11 – See #10, though this is a slight improvement.  But New Orleans Second Line doesn’t do it for me either, and I doubt it does it for Dan.

12 – Much better, though Dan won’t think so.   Heavy Pharoah Sanders influence, though it’s not him.   But is trying to be.   I have a ton of this sort of thing already, may have this.  If not, might be interested in grabbing it, depending on details.

I thought this might resonate with you. An artist I really like, nothing pretentious, unafraid to show his influences but brings something of his own.

13 – I shouldn’t like this, but I do OK to a point.  Dan won’t.  

14 – My wife would really like this, and I like it OK.  A singer who grew up listening to Joni Mitchell’s ‘Hejira’ and her other work with Metheny and Jaco.  Grows on me as I listen, and I look forward to the ID.  Doubt if Dan will care for this one.

Not a connection I'd made but will definitely listen with that in mind next time

15 – A group that grew up listening to later Weather Report albums.  Dan won’t like this, and it doesn't do a ton for me.

Mark, thanks for this BFT.  Several bracing cuts in the first half that leave me thirsting for the ID’s.  And you have very broad tastes, which is great for a BFT, even if they don’t all “hit” for me!  1,4,6 are the huge winners for me, with 12 getting honorable mention.

Thanks for your comments John (mine in return are under the tracks concerned) and I'm pleased some tunes made a positive impact. I'll let you check your Dan-analysis against his answers but I'll say this much, you know each other's tastes well..

It would seem from current responses this is a front-loaded BFT. 

Edited by mjazzg

38 minutes ago, felser said:

Well I said it grew on me but I also have an upper limit on the island rhythm tunes.  Fun, but only to a point.

Skimming through a bit.

#6 is "Blue "Moses."  Interesting treatment, with the violin--maybe two violins.  I like it.  

#10 seems to be in the manner of minimalistic Cecil Taylor.

On #15 the tenor sounds like Joe Lovano--likely a recent recording on ECM.  

4 hours ago, Milestones said:

Skimming through a bit.

#6 is "Blue "Moses."  Interesting treatment, with the violin--maybe two violins.  I like it.  

#10 seems to be in the manner of minimalistic Cecil Taylor.

On #15 the tenor sounds like Joe Lovano--likely a recent recording on ECM.  

Thanks for giving it a spin and for your impressions

#6 Not 'Blue Moses' I'm afraid but glad you like it.

#10 is the sax player's date and the pianist I know to be a CT fan

#15 not on ECM but another independent label

The first tune is Tubby Hayes’ classic ‘Down in the Village’. By the flute player, Ed Cawthorne, the group is called Tenderlonious. I find the bass a bit relentless on this version. But I may be too used to Tubby’s version and this may be aimed at a jazz dance crowd. Thanks for posting. And hopefully people will also check out Tubby’s version, live at Ronnie Scott’s. 

5 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

The first tune is Tubby Hayes’ classic ‘Down in the Village’. By the flute player, Ed Cawthorne, the group is called Tenderlonious. I find the bass a bit relentless on this version. But I may be too used to Tubby’s version and this may be aimed at a jazz dance crowd. Thanks for posting. And hopefully people will also check out Tubby’s version, live at Ronnie Scott’s. 

We have our first artist/track ID, thank you adh107.

You obviously know the album it's from too.

I always thought Tenderlonious was Cawthorne's alias, I didn't realise it was the band name. He's playing Tubby's old piccolo on the album. 

People need to hear the original, definitely 

17 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

We have our first artist/track ID, thank you adh107.

You obviously know the album it's from too.

I always thought Tenderlonious was Cawthorne's alias, I didn't realise it was the band name. He's playing Tubby's old piccolo on the album. 

People need to hear the original, definitely 

Interesting, I didn’t know about Tubby’s old piccolo.  I may be confused on naming protocol! It’s a great tune though.

Anthony

Just starting here, but wanted to check out #10 due to negative feedback.

As someone who's listened to a lot of avant-garde classical, I think it's not bad. Doesn't ring any bells right away, but there are hints of a sense of humor, so thinking it might be a Dutch group, or at least a Dutch leader (pianist?). Need to ponder more.

3 hours ago, Milestones said:

Now I have it: #6 is "Mopti."  It's a Don Cherry composition, but I certainly don't know who plays it here

Yes, well done, track ID. It is "Mopti"

3 hours ago, T.D. said:

Just starting here, but wanted to check out #10 due to negative feedback.

As someone who's listened to a lot of avant-garde classical, I think it's not bad. Doesn't ring any bells right away, but there are hints of a sense of humor, so thinking it might be a Dutch group, or at least a Dutch leader (pianist?). Need to ponder more.

#10 is in the BFT as a representative of all the more Avant music I didn't dare include 🫢 so I'm not surprised by the reactions. The entire BFT could have been in this style, easily.

No Dutch players involved although the pianist has recently been involved in a unrecorded Mengelberg tribute so a connection's there maybe, good listening T.D.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on other tracks if you have time.

5 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Interesting, I just barely skimmed my way through, but #2 grabbed me the most, to say the least.  No idea who any of it might be.

#2 is great. Thanks for listening

Finally got some time:

1. Bass is roaring and this is a good groove. Sounds like something Tenderlonious was influenced by actually. Trumpet sounds like Freddie a little bit. I like this song quite a bit. No idea who to guess though. 

2. Love that intro. Feel like I know this drummer but can't name them. Pianist is familiar too, Bobby Timmons? 

3. Fucking lovely. Would love to see a band like this live. Reminds me of Le Rex but I don't think it's them. 

4. Another winner. No idea who but the sax player is going wild. Drummer is killing it too, and the vibes solo is right nasty. 

5. Thought this was going to be all solo but those drums came in and set it off. Bass solo is tight. Whole song is nice. 

6. Loving this one too. Intro groove is ridiculous and the whole song is excellent. Billy Bang? 

7. Sounds like a 70s tune. There's some cheese but the bass line saves it. Drummer does some carrying too. No guesses. 

8. Interesting intro. Notice the poor recording quality but that's not keeping me from hearing some good stuff. 

9. A favorite so far. Whole thing is glorious. Sounds almost like it's live in places. 

10. This is familiar and I wonder if I have it or where I've heard it. Of course, I have no idea who to guess. The pianist's facility is impressive. Is it Melford? 

11. Helluva rhythmic build up and quite a ride on the way there. This is wild as hell. Will love to see who this is. Ok, that bass line has been sampled...

12. Sounds like Sanders. If it's not him, someone has drawn near complete inspiration from him. Im not sure of the song though. I love it. 

Unfortunately I can't finish the rest. I'll have to come back and revisit. Stunningly good BFT. Thanks for putting this together!