Which period and time do you buy most of your jazz

Hardbopjazz

I seem to buy almost all my jazz pior to the 1970's. There is so much great music that I don't have from that time alone, that I concentrate my buying almost entirely on the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's. I would have to say pre 1970's makes up 97% of my music.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

I buy a small number of new releases, but mainly a lot of reissues, like many people on this board. My favorite historical period is 1945-1970, I would say, with a secondary interest in pre-1945 and 1970's jazz and in more recent years I have started to investigate the 1980's and beyond.

Or to answer the question another way. . . I really have since about 1990 been buying more and more of material from the time period of the recordings of the Original Dixieland Jazz Band through the emergence of Charlie Parker as "the shit." ;)

Mostly I'm a 50s-60s type of guy. At least most of my recent puchase have been of that vintage. But I enjoy a good helping of more recent things, Vandermark, Murray, and several more but there doesn't seem to be too much of interest coming out at them moment. Anyway I'm trying to cut down on the habit.

Guest Chaney

I'm afraid that I've fallen under the influence of the "Funny Rat" and I'm mostly buying 1980 to present free-jazz.  I've become very excited about this music, I feel like I'm exploring a new world.

EVIL! THAT DAMN FUNNY RAT THREAD IS EVIL!

:D

Ditto what Matthew said.

Love the old(er) stuff but it's often interesting to experience history in the making. :party:

Probably the 1960's, followed by the 70's (although I am very selective about what I'll buy from the 70's -- it's just that I'm always looking for really interesting things from the 70's).

Actually -- that brings up a good point. Even though the amount of jazz from the 70's that I buy is much lower than for some other decades -- my interest in finding particular kinds of recordings from the 70's is really quite high.

SO, to specifically answer this thread two ways, here's my purchasing habits for the decades, by relative interest-factor, and also in terms of amount of music actually purchased...

Interest factor

=========

1. 60's

2. 70's

3. 90's & 00's

4. 50's

5. 80's / 40's / and before

Purchase frequency

=============

1. 60's

2. 50's

3. 90's & 00's

4. 70's

5. 80's / 40's / and before

I could further break this out by half-decades too (but I won't), except to say that my interest in late 60's jazz is quite high, but my actually frequency of purchase for early 60's jazz is higher. It all has to do with how much is out there (on CD) that I haven't already gotten yet, vs. areas I haven't explored as much as I should.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'm afraid that I've fallen under the influence of the "Funny Rat" and I'm mostly buying 1980 to present free-jazz. I've become very excited about this music, I feel like I'm exploring a new world.

The insidious pull of the Funny Rat has affected my purchases of late as well. The 50's/60's bop era still rules the roost, but just barely...we're not in Kansas anymore! :ph34r:

As the avatar suggests, my primary interest is in jazz from the 20s to 30s although I'm buying a fair bit of recordings from the 50s to 60s of late. Very little of post 60s recordings, maybe about 3% of total purchases.

I started with the 40's-50's and continue to add from time to time, but for the last year or so I've been going mainly for the late 50's to 60's.

In the past few weeks I've found some real gems recorded in the 90's of all times, so I'm beginning to stray a bit. I even went so far as to pick up something recorded in this decade.

I'm feeling real crazy right about now. B)

I just buy whatever I'm in the mood for at the time, which is liable to be any damn thing, as long as it's cheap enough. Although, I will splurge if it's something really important.

I tend to get curious about an artist, era, or genre, and then do a crash-education thru books and recordings. Then I let that soak for a while. But before soak time is total immerion time. The soaking is important too. Sometimes I come right back, sometimes later, seldom never.

It's important to learn the fine art of bottom-feeding if you want to explore lots of different types of music, I do, and I have.

What I'm trying to say is that I have no one favorite period, although I'm a little light in REALLY early jazz, and I put myself out of the hot and heavy loop for new developements about 10-15 years ago because I wanted any new developements that I heard to be mine, not somebody else's (there comes a time).

But hey - it's ALL good (at least in theory), and not just for jazz either.