Bird Lives!

Hardbopjazz

7 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I heard that Moog album on AFN radio when it was new and was thrilled. It actually was the first time I heard his name. I think it sounds much less dated than most other early synth stuff.

I have a lot of Moog albums from that era.  Hyman's first Moog album, the one with "The Minotaur," is one of the best.  Most are either too pop or very "serious."  This one hits a real sweet spot between the two, and I write this as one who typically avoids the phrase "sweet spot."

11 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I have a lot of Moog albums from that era.  Hyman's first Moog album, the one with "The Minotaur," is one of the best.  Most are either too pop or very "serious."  This one hits a real sweet spot between the two, and I write this as one who typically avoids the phrase "sweet spot."

My thoughts exactly!

I heard "The Minotaur" on AFN radio and was fascinated. But only when it was issued on CD I was able to get a copy.

Edited by mikeweil

8 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

My thoughts exactly!

I heard "The Minotaur" on AFN radio and was fascinated. But only when it was issued on CD I was able to get a copy.

FYI, the first three tunes on the album were written in advance of the recording, and the rest of the album was improvised during the sessions.

48 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

Don’t overlook his work on pipe organ as well.

The ones with Ruby Braff!

NS00MDA4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Mi0zNjMzLmpwZWc.jpeg

I also like this one, in which he played a key role:

My05ODI5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Do we need a Dick Hyman thread?

Edited by mikeweil