Dirty Dozen Brass Band?

T.D.

The "Dirty Dozen Brass Band" is playing nearby tomorrow, but at an expensive venue.

Formed in 1977, the original concept ("The Dirty Dozen incorporated funk and bebop into the traditional New Orleans jazz style") seems interesting but could be hit or miss.

I can't find any recent clips or reviews (for instance on Bandcamp). Does anybody know about this ensemble?

Edited by T.D.

I think(?) I saw them up in Iowa City 20+ years ago. Pretty high energy, as I recall, and definitely a good time (but definitely ‘good time’ music, fwiw).

I don’t recall there being more meat on the bone than I was expecting, but they were definitely good within their oeuvre.

I saw them several times in the last century.  Always liked them even after they added electric guitar (my late friend Mike Goodwin who  wrote what was probably the first piece about them in a national magazine, felt the addition of the guitar was not a good idea).  When and where were they in DTLA?  Looks like the space near Bunker Hill. 

Edited by medjuck

Thanks, I went and it was a fun show.

Only downside was the sound system: amplified to ear-splitting volume in a relatively small venue but also murky, so it was difficult to make out details. Strange, because two guys were jointly working a massive console.