The Many Releases of Cannonball's Bossa LP

Anyone know the story with this album?  It was released on Riverside, Capitol - at least a few times, with different cover art - and even Everest(!).  There may have been releases on Tower and Pickwick also. How did this one make the rounds to this degree, just because Bossa was big in the US for a hot minute?  Also, veering off topic, is Everest the only instance of an audiophile label becoming a budget label?

Edited by Teasing the Korean

It was recorded for Riverside, but among the albums - about half of his Riverside output - that Cannonball acquired after Riverside's folding and took to Capitol, which reissued some of them. Somebody else her might have more detaled knowledge.

As I recall Keepnews' version of the story, Riverside went broke after (and because) Grauer died.  Grauer kept the company afloat with creative bookkeeping.

I've always read that Cannonball purchased the rights, etc., from Riverside.

I don't know if Cannonball moved to Capitol before or after Riverside collapsed.  I think (here we go!) that the last Riverside issue was a Charlie Byrd album (I think Guitar Artistry) which I think was recorded in '64 and released in early '65.

Does this sound right?

The version I remember is that Cannonball was awarded the rights to 4 albums by the courts due to non-payment by Riverside.  This was discussed in (IIRC) the late '90's when Blue Note reissued these albums.

UPDATE: Actually, it was 7 LPs.  The liner notes to the Capitol Jazz reissue of Them Dirty Blues states: "When Cannonball Adderley signed to Capitol Records in 1963 he brought seven master tapes from his Riverside days with him."

Edited by mjzee

28 minutes ago, mjzee said:

The version I remember is that Cannonball was awarded the rights to 4 albums by the courts due to non-payment by Riverside.  This was discussed in (IIRC) the late '90's when Blue Note reissued these albums.

UPDATE: Actually, it was 7 LPs.  The liner notes to the Capitol Jazz reissue of Them Dirty Blues states: "When Cannonball Adderley signed to Capitol Records in 1963 he brought seven master tapes from his Riverside days with him."

OK, so if it was 1963, Riverside hadn't gone broke yet, right?

"brought" is the key word there...my memory (fwiw) is that somebody either gave him those tapes or else cut him a really sweet deal for them as a parting gesture. I seem to recall somebody telling how Cannonball actually tried to somehow save Riverside, or offering to.

The truth is out there somewhere...unless it's not?

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Any idea how it ended up on Everest in the 1970s?

Maybe the same way as this one did?

LTgyNzkuanBlZw.jpeg

That label got weirder and weirder as the 70s rolled on....

Bill Evans was quoted as saying that Bill Grauer died in self-defense.

Bob Thiele was also known for creative bookkeeping, selling more than 100% ownership of his last label, Red Baron, to investors. His house of cards tumbled after his death.