Charlie Haden

tranemonk

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, felser said:

Buell Neidlinger and Denis Charles come immediately to mind for me, followed by Raphe Malik, Ramsey Ameen, and Ronald Shannon Jackson (realize others think more highly of his work).

Ameen is the only one of those players I haven't heard outside of CT. I quite like them all on their own, as well as in the Taylor orbit. Malik is a musician who mined a narrow seam but did it with brilliance and commitment.

yep. Buell also had his own bands which were quite interesting, well into the 1990s and early 00s. Beautiful sound on the bass and very creative, not to mention a fascinating raconteur.

Denis Charles reemerged in the loft era and was very active until his death in 1998. Certainly his personal problems created inconsistency but when he was on fire he was definitely on fire. There are numerous recordings that bear this out.

Edited by clifford_thornton

7 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

yep. Buell also had his own bands which were quite interesting, well into the 1990s and early 00s. Beautiful sound on the bass and very creative, not to mention a fascinating raconteur.

Indeed ....