Charlie Haden

tranemonk

I was witness to a bit of an awkward moment with the LMO in Oslo. Haden dedicated to his encore to the "beautiful whales, who need to be protected" (paraphrasing), to which he received tepid applause as probably half the audience had whale for dinner before the show.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, AndreyHenkin said:

I was witness to a bit of an awkward moment with the LMO in Oslo. Haden dedicated to his encore to the "beautiful whales, who need to be protected" (paraphrasing), to which he received tepid applause as probably half the audience had whale for dinner before the show.

😂 - Listen to Albert Mangelsdorff in a duet with a whale ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnb03wS2lBU

On my first visit to the Village Vanguard, I think 1988, I stood aside on the stairs to let Charlie Haden pass with his double bass. Made me understand what an intimate venue it was. I don’t know why, but I was surprised such a star (to me) was carrying his own bass. He was playing with Don Cherry and James Clay, possibly Billy Higgins on drums. Cherry sitting on the floor in hippy garb, James Clay in a sharp suit. 

14 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

On my first visit to the Village Vanguard, I think 1988, I stood aside on the stairs to let Charlie Haden pass with his double bass. Made me understand what an intimate venue it was. I don’t know why, but I was surprised such a star (to me) was carrying his own bass. He was playing with Don Cherry and James Clay, possibly Billy Higgins on drums. Cherry sitting on the floor in hippy garb, James Clay in a sharp suit. 

I saw him once carrying his bass across what was then the Warner Brothers/Columbia lot, presumably on his way to a soundtrack recording session. 

18 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

I was only at the Vanguard once, to see Eastern Rebellion with Ralph Moore.

He came down the steps past me and I said aloud "there he is" or something like that. I was not NY cool and felt like a dweeb.

50 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

would love to have seen that band live, though Art Deco was never a favorite Cherry album.

21 hours ago, adh1907 said:

Any specific memories about the concert ? Btw really dig their "Art Deco" release on A&M Records ....

According to an interview with Ethan Iverson, Cedar Walton did not like Haden's playing very much.  What part of it did he not like?

https://ethaniverson.com/interview-with-cedar-walton/

-----

EI:  Did you ever play with Charlie Haden?

CW:  A little bit. Once he invited me and Higgins up to Vancouver – when I was living in California – for a festival. That’s about the only time. I was spoiled by Sam Jones and Ron and Ray and people like that. Mr. Haden had his own world and I had mine on another avenue. So be it. But thank God there’s a lot of good bass players, most of them based here, I’m afraid. George Mraz comes to mind. Great people. I’m lucky.

You can't please everyone.

But Ornette, Don Cherry, Paul Bley, Carla Bley, Michael Brecker, Paul Motian, Jan Garbaek, Pat Metheny, Joshua Redman, Herbie Hancock, John Scofield, Bill Frisell, Ed Blackwell, Dewey Redman, and many more were indeed pleased.

32 minutes ago, Milestones said:

But Ornette, Don Cherry, Paul Bley, Carla Bley, Michael Brecker, Paul Motian, Jan Garbaek, Pat Metheny, Joshua Redman, Herbie Hancock, John Scofield, Bill Frisell, Ed Blackwell, Dewey Redman, and many more were indeed pleased.

Keith Jarrett

Musicians are allowed to have people they click with and others they just don't enjoy.  Sounds natural to me.  I was reminded of this recently when I was reading about the Dewey Redman/Cecil Taylor/Elvin Jones album "Momentum Space."  John Snyder, the producer, relates: https://www.thewire.co.uk/in-writing/book-extracts/read-an-extract-from-in-the-brewing-luminous-the-life-music-of-cecil-taylor-by-philip-free

At dinner with Taylor, once the financing was secured, Snyder described the project and invited the pianist to participate. “I said, ‘I got this money to do a date with Dewey. Would you consider playing on it?’ And he said, ‘No.’ And I said, ‘What do you mean, no?’ And he said ‘No.’ I said, ‘Don’t you want to know how much?’ And he said, ‘I don’t want to play with Dewey… I don’t like his playing.’ I said, ‘Come on, Cecil. I mean, which part of it? You can’t just say you don’t like Dewey’s playing, it’s all over the place.’”  

(It gets worse from there.)

17 hours ago, Milestones said:

Art Pepper .... who was at the ime of the recordings for Artists House not too easy to work with .... excellent results though ....

17 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

nutty re: Momentum Space. I should relisten to the CD, as it has been a very long time and that was never a go-to album for me.

Very little interaction between Redman/Taylor/Jones, much of Taylor's work on it is solo.

Edited by felser

31 minutes ago, felser said:

Very little interaction between Redman/Taylor/Jones, much of Taylor's work on it is solo.

True. I don’t like that album. One of those records where the seemingly interesting line up does not work.

Yes, I had intended to mention Jarrett with Haden as well.  Many fine meetings in trio, quartet, and duo formats.

As for Cecil Taylor (who never interested me much), he was mainly a solo performer.  In terms of groups, he had "Units" of special, long-standing players.  

2 hours ago, Milestones said:

Yes, I had intended to mention Jarrett with Haden as well.  Many fine meetings in trio, quartet, and duo formats.

I had dinner once at Disney Hall before a Kieth Jarrett concert and noticed the actor, Jack Black, at a table near us.  I didn't get excited about it until he was joined by his father-in-law: Charlie Haden.    

7 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Taylor could get some really interesting music out of players who might in other circumstances not move me much.

Buell Neidlinger and Denis Charles come immediately to mind for me, followed by Raphe Malik, Ramsey Ameen, and Ronald Shannon Jackson (realize others think more highly of his work).

22 hours ago, JSngry said:

Charlie and Ornette were both country boys at heart. Cedar was not.

I'm listening to Rambling Boy right now (again). Charlie had a beautiful voice. He was a gift. As I said when I started this thread - I miss him.