Byard Lancaster, The complete Palm Recordings 1973-74

cayetano

and on the subject, i always thought that the funny funky album was way oversold by the record company.  in liner notes, in prominent place, at least on the cd....  something about james brown rhythms, etc.

i don't hear any james brown type stuff on this album.

Researching the Palm recordings further, I realize the two I'm most interested in, 'Us' and 'Mother Africa', have never made it to CD or download.   'Funky Funky Rib Crib' is around on CD, and the samples sound interesting enough.  Not sure what to make of 'Exactment', where he seems to go it alone with some percussion in the background.  Any thoughts on some of his later recordings, especially 'Worlds', which is also readily available on CD?

3 minutes ago, felser said:

Researching the Palm recordings further, I realize the two I'm most interested in, 'Us' and 'Mother Africa', have never made it to CD or download.   'Funky Funky Rib Crib' is around on CD, and the samples sound interesting enough.  Not sure what to make of 'Exactment', where he seems to go it alone with some percussion in the background.  Any thoughts on some of his later recordings, especially 'Worlds', which is also readily available on CD?

I preordered Mother Africa.

Later Lancaster is good. Those CIMP CDs are swell, and My Pure Joy -- which, thanks to Felser's help, I did the liners for on the LP reissue -- is a fascinating mixed bag. 

FWIW I've always liked Exactement quite a bit. It is pretty spare but very personal. Ditto Personal Testimony, which was issued on CD with extra tracks. I've never had the Bellows LP but would be interested to sit down with it, even if it's a bit uneven.

35 minutes ago, felser said:

Getting expensive with shipping to USA running another 20 euros for the bundle.  I'll probably wait and see if other sellers such as DG carry these.

Available at Dusty Groove for preorder (Forced Exposure too, I believe).

• 2 weeks later...