My LP of McCoy Tyner's "Extensions" Has Evaporated

This is crazy.

This past Sunday, Ms. TTK and I were spinning vinyl.

At one point, I was between two choices:  John Dankworth's The Zodiac Variations or McCoy Tyner's Extensions.  I decided on the latter, but when I took out the LP, I noticed it needed to be cleaned.  

So I took Extensions into the studio, where I have my Nitty Gritty cleaner set up.  I was about to clean it, when I decided that instead, I wanted to hear Tyner's Sama Layuca.

So we listened to Sama Layuca with dinner, and had a lovely evening.

On Monday, I was filing LPs that we pulled and/or played on Sunday, but Extensions was nowhere to be found.  It wasn't near the Nitty Gritty, it wasn't by the stereo, and it wasn't in the record room with the to-be-filed albums.  I saw both The Zodiac Variations and Sama Layuca, but no Extensions.

I looked in the McCoy Tyner section, about 20+ LPs if you include double LPs.  It wasn't there, and didn't get sandwiched into a double. I looked at the other LPs that I refiled, and it wasn't with them.  I even looked to see if I filed it in the exotica section, which is where I file Sama Layuca.  Nothing. 

I asked Ms. TTK if I could have thrown it into the trash accidentally.  She demonstrated that a 12" LP in a cover would not fit into our kitchen trash can without really cramming it or forcing it.

I realize that anything can get lost, but a 12" album shouldn't be that hard to find.  I either file them, lay them on top of something, or put them in the to-be-filed LPs.

I am totally stumped.  

Has this kind of thing happened to those of you with large LP collections/accumulations?  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Yep, been there. Currently I have a CD missing, it's one that came in an oversized sleeve inside a handmade, by the artist, cloth cover. It's not in the oversized CD section, not in the current/to-be-filed section, can't fit into the alpabeticised main CD shelves. By rights, it should be the hardest to mislay given its distinct very colourful cover but nada...

Have you checked inside the Sama Layuca sleeve?

55 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Has this kind of thing happened to those of you with large LP collections/accumulations?  

Yep!  

Once I found a long-missing CD under my CD player.  God only knows how it got there.

44 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Might be facing spine-inward on the shelf. That's happened to me before, for whatever reason (refiling after a few beers?).

I'd love to blame alcohol, but I've been taking a break for about the past three months, and based on how good I feel, it may be permanent! 

10 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Maybe your cat hid it.

Now that is possible!  Maybe the National Geographic-inspired cover rekindled his connection to his wild self! 

53 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Memory weakens .... overall .... unfortunately 😪 ....

This seems less about memory than it does about where can you hide something that is 12" by 12"!  It's not in the dishwasher, and it's not in the cardboard recycling bin! 

I recently spent hours looking for a CD that was in my collection according to my discogs account, but it was nowhere to be found, Three classical composers, thus difficult to file, but checking all the oiptions did not help. Maybe I sold it and forget to delete it form my collection file.

Same for two of four Bach SACDs by Aapo Häkkinen -  filed as in my collection, but nowhere to be found. 

I guess my age starts to catch up with my memory.

A good friend wanted to loan me a DVD of Stravinsky conducting, but again, no trace. It drives her crazy.

So I took Extensions into the studio, where I have my Nitty Gritty cleaner set up.  I was about to clean it, when I decided that instead, I wanted to hear Tyner's Sama Layuca.

That's the key moment. Have to rack your brains re. what you did just then.

My own tendency would be to set the album aside in some random place that seemed clever at the time (maybe due to thinking about playing it after Sama Layuca), and then forget about it. Probably some side table or shelf fairly close to either the Nitty Gritty or the turntable.

My filing system is almost foolproof, but occasionally CDs have vanished without explanation. Often I find them after grabbing the wrong stack as I conduct a periodic massive shift to file all new acquisitions (which often approaches 300 titles by the time I get to the Zs). But there are times when they are just missing and I definitely didn't sell them. I think that I may have left a CD behind in the studio once or twice, but I haven't been downtown to record my weekly radio show in over two years, since I've been producing it at home.

Perhaps the most frustrating is when my wife loaned our truck without asking me, removing a CD from the player but not the jewel box from the storage compartment. By the time I got the truck back, the CD was nowhere to be found to put back in the jewel box. About the time that I buy a replacement copy, it will turn up.

Edited by Ken Dryden

She left the jewel box in the player?

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

So I took Extensions into the studio, where I have my Nitty Gritty cleaner set up.  I was about to clean it, when I decided that instead, I wanted to hear Tyner's Sama Layuca.

That's the key moment. Have to rack your brains re. what you did just then.

My own tendency would be to set the album aside in some random place that seemed clever at the time (maybe due to thinking about playing it after Sama Layuca), and then forget about it. Probably some side table or shelf fairly close to either the Nitty Gritty or the turntable.

There ya' go. Go to the last place you KNOW you had it and then let the memory start to fill in what came next, step by step. Assume nothing!

Some people were born under a bad sign, but I was born under a black hole. Experience talking here.

I have a couple cheap-o CD/DVD players in areas like the basement of garage.  One in a blue moon I will play a CD there and inevitably leave the CD in the drawer.  I will typically find it, but only subsequent to buying a replacement on Discogs or Dusty Groove 😀

12 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I bet it's misfiled in your Connie Francis section.

Thanks!  I checked, but my female vocal section goes directly from Ella Fitzgerald to Eydie Gorme, so I apparently have no Connie Francis records.  And I didn't find Extensions sandwiched between Ella Fitzgerald and Eydie Gorme, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Eric said:

I have a couple cheap-o CD/DVD players in areas like the basement of garage.  One in a blue moon I will play a CD there and inevitably leave the CD in the drawer.  I will typically find it, but only subsequent to buying a replacement on Discogs or Dusty Groove 😀

That's why I NEVER leave discs in the player, no matter if car or home.

And I never let dics lay around out of their cases. So logically the discs missing are lost complete with cases.

Edited by mikeweil

We had cat/house-sitters last week and the dude of the couple is very into music, nice person. I instructed him on the LP organization system and made sure he was good at taking care of records. So far only one random misfiling; there might be more, but I'm not too worried. Most notably he came away fascinated by Steve Lacy's "Stalks" LP.

On 7/31/2024 at 11:17 PM, mikeweil said:

Same for two of four Bach SACDs by Aapo Häkkinen -  filed as in my collection, but nowhere to be found. 

I guess my age starts to catch up with my memory.

They turned up today - two each of the four were filed in different places. What was I thinking?