Removing apps on Apple

Milestones

I am wondering if anyone has removed some apps from an Apple desktop.  By all accounts, this would come with some risks.  I would do it to open up more HD space, though I doubt it would make all that much available.

My current thought is to remove Chess and Garage Band.

4 hours ago, Milestones said:

I am wondering if anyone has removed some apps from an Apple desktop.  By all accounts, this would come with some risks.  I would do it to open up more HD space, though I doubt it would make all that much available.

My current thought is to remove Chess and Garage Band.

Are you running the most up-to-date macOS?  If you are, I don't think there's much of a risk.  Garage Band is a current Apple app.  If you delete it, you can always download it again from the App Store.  Is Chess an Apple program or from a third-party?  Is it currently offered in the App Store?  If it isn't, you may lose it for good if you delete it.  I'm sure there are tons of replacement chess apps you could use.  HOWEVER, if you're running an operating system older than Sonoma, you may not be able to redownload Garage Band, so you may not want to delete it.

If you delete Garage Band, remember to first save any files you made with it.

I notice that Garage Band takes up 1.38 GB on my hard drive.  If that's all you need to recover, then great.  However, if you need more space than that, here's a good in-depth article about how to clear disc space on a Mac: https://www.macworld.com/article/671020/how-to-clear-disk-space-on-a-mac.html