LA's oldest record store is also its lowest rated

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

SameĀ 

But I have fond memories of the original Metamorphosis Records (before they moved to Exposition Park), The Record Gallery on Lower Greenville, and Collector's Records in Casa Linda.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Joe said:

But I have fond memories of the original Metamorphosis Records (before they moved to Exposition Park), The Record Gallery on Lower Greenville, and Collector's Records in Casa Linda.

Very much so, especially Collector's in its earliest incarnation (Dorothy, what a delight she was!). But all of them, really. Friendly spots who recognized you as a repeat customer and weren't afraid to conversate!

I used to check out all the record stores in the downtown area of NYC, and there were a few strange owners who I only went to once, and that was enough for me.

Bleeker Bob was the most uptight dude I ever met, and I ran out of there with a cheap copy of Woody Herman's Sextet "Live at the Roundtable" as fast as I could.

There was an older British guy who seemed to be a rock dude, who was some type of maniac or something..LOL! He made a sale of a record to someone, and it was so draining for him, he had to rush me out of his store with an overpriced copy of Grady Tate's disappointing album with "Sackful of Dreams", so he could unwind with a bottle of booze. He said I could come back in an hour or two...LOL!

It turned out thatĀ  another guy had a deal with TSS where he'd sneak into their warehouse, and pick up their jazz records after midnight and get them in bulk for a very low price, and sell them for 10x what he paid for them.

And so on...

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Very much so, especially Collector's in its earliest incarnation (Dorothy, what a delight she was!). But all of them, really. Friendly spots who recognized you as a repeat customer and weren't afraid to conversate!

Yes, Dorothy!

Also, I as today years old when I learned that one of Metamorphosis' original proprietors was National Poetry Slam Champion Clebo Rainey.

Ā 

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Collector's Records was the one I liked.

22 hours ago, JSngry said:

Don't they keep shit like that behind the counter?

Fred has a second desk near his check out desk at the door that he evidently uses for purposes like sorting and packing auction LPs. I am pretty sure that this guy who grabbed this LP didn't even think for a second that it might command $1000 or more in an auction on line.

Frankly, I am not interested in simply acquiring first editions for bragging rights or display. I'd rather buy a greater volume of music than tie up that much money in one rare, mint first pressing.

Ā 

On 7/22/2024 at 8:37 PM, JSngry said:

Same here. They're objects that contain music, not music itself.

And Fred should keep things out of reach if he doesn't want them being touched. Parenting 101!

It happened several years ago, but I think the LPs in question were in a box, so the customer was off base in thumbing through them.

2 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

It happened several years ago, but I think the LPs in question were in a box, so the customer was off base in thumbing through them.

Of course thumbing through boxes can be tempting regardless of the overall layout of the shop. But it all depends on whether records for browsing were in boxes in that shop at that time anyway. I know (now, and knew in the past) more than one shop where record stocks simply were overflowing in all directions and lots of records were in boxes placed outside the actual bins (sometimes even piled for the customers to shift them themselves if they wanted to peruse the contents of all the boxes).
So that customer had only himself to blame for being called to order but I'd cut him (and his "record hunter instinct") some slack. ;)

Interesting reading, this thread. Are listening booths really rare over in the States?

I love a bricks and mortar record shop. Grazing is probably one of my top three or four things to do. Sadly, space and money issues mean that I am not really a "serious buyer" from these people's perspectives.

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Interesting reading, this thread. Are listening booths really rare over in the States?

I love a bricks and mortar record shop. Grazing is probably one of my top three or four things to do. Sadly, space and money issues mean that I am not really a "serious buyer" from these people's perspectives.

I have never seen a listening booth during my 54 years as a record buyer. I do remember a local used bookstore that had several CD players with headphones for auditioning used CDs but they were removed at least 20 years ago.

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Ā 

I can tell you that over here listening facilities at regular record shops (when there still were NEW records to be sold and therefore a certain number of record shops) went out of operation here sometime in the latter 70s. The only one local shop I remember that still had listening facilities (those "telephone receiver"-type thingies at the counter) was a long-established shop but by those later 70s the listening service had been modernized and trimmed down severely compared to the below photograph (which shows the same place in a photo from a 1958 product catalog). No other shops in town offered any possibility of listening in before purchase anymore.

48434613zo.jpg

To the best of my understanding, actual listening BOOTHS in record shops were phased out long, long before.

In the more recent era of shops dealing in secondhand records, listening facilities do not exist everywhere either. Our #1 local secondhand shop is a commendable exception and has a corner setup in plain sight of the counter where 2 Technics turntables with headphones are set up for the customers to listen to the records before purchase. Turntables operated by the customers themselves on the understanding that common sense and discretion be applied ("use the pickup arm lift at all times", i.e. don't put the pickup onto the record with you grubby, clumsy fingers! :D), though I am baffled ever so often when I see how hard it seems to be even for so many of the (usually) discerning and knowledgeable clientele of the shop to pull the record out of its sleeve and hold it ONLY with an "octave grip" and not by placing their clumsy thumbs onto the grooves ...Ā  So ... <_<;)

Ā 

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I've been buying records for over 50 years now and I have never seen a "listening booth". I have been in many stores that have a turntable at the checkout counter where they might play a record for you, but nothing self-service.

As for CDs, there was small store on Newbury St in Boston that had portable CD players laying around and you could listen to used CDs before buying them but they disappeared when the headphones broke. Most portable CD players back then had really cheap plastic headphones that snapped easily. I was also told that some assholes started opening new CDs so they could listen to them.

As I think of it, a couple of shops I would visit in south Florida had CD players (and I recall at least one with a TT also) with headphones available for sampling potential purchases.Ā  But they were rather small shops, the ones I went to most (Blue Note in Miami and All Books/Records in Fort Lauderdale) did not.

Edit to add, contra Kevin above - these were good quality stereo-type CD players, no DiscMans and no $10 headphones either.

Edited by Dan Gould

50 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

I have never seen a listening booth during my 54 years as a record buyer. I do remember a local used bookstore that had several CD players with headphones for auditioning used CDs but they were removed at least 20 years ago.

By all accounts they must have existed, judging by the tales (tall tales?) of youngsters of bygone decades who cherished their memories of piling half a dozen high into a booth after school to listen to a stack of the latest hit parade platters, and then buying maybe one single or none at all ("ah no, not actually my cuppa") until even the most sympathetic shop owner would kick them out of his place. ;)

I don't know how long these booths lasted after (circa) 1960 (if at all), though.

Also see the below record sleeve from the 78rpm era.

48434674an.jpg

Edited by Big Beat Steve

as a kid, I would spend hours at one of the local bookstores which had a row of 10 or so CD players where you could sample everything... nowadays, here in Amsterdam, most of the used-LP stores I go to regularly have one or two self-service record players... with used vinyl it's key to have a chance to decide for yourself whether the scratches affect your enjoyment of the music or not... Some also have a system where you need to convince the owner to play something for you over the shop system (and in one shop, the owner sometimes decides to punish clients with his choice of what to play next, e.g. Hans Werner Henze at very high volume)

Over here, you could audition new CDs in most shops, as long as there even were shops that sold new CDs (they are all but gone now). I would say that roughly half of the second hand stores I still visit have self-service turntables (though no "booths").

10 minutes ago, Niko said:

.... in one shop, the owner sometimes decides to punish clients with his choice of what to play next, e.g. Hans Werner Henze at very high volume)

šŸ‘¹šŸ¤”šŸ‘¹ ....

I am primarily thinking of used record shops. I am also not suggesting an actual "booth" (which may be what is being referred to above), so much as an area for customers to listen to the vinyl.

But most ones to which I go have a turntable set up with headphones for you to listen. As someone mentioned above, it is inevitably a Technics deck, and battered.

I would go so far as to say that I consider the idea of having a record player set up for customers to be absolutely unremarkable in 2024. Hence my surprise at the reminiscing above.

My parents were shopkeepers who sold womenswear. They always jokily remarked on how important it was to have "good mirrors", by which they meant that the lighting and angling of the mirrors in the changing room was key to whether you actually made the sale, almost more important than the shop decor, staff attentiveness and the clothes themselves. I always saw the record shop turntable in the same light. Shabby as they are, you bet that those headphones and that old Technics turntable are going to make the record you're sizing up sound incredible. They never sound that good on my home system.

My kids recently bought me a record for my birthday (a Howling Wolf record that my 6 year old son had seen and liked the look of). My wife not-so-subtly let me know and I directed her to a shop which I knew had it in stock. I said to make sure that the kids listened to it beforehand to make sure that it was good - to add to the pomp and ceremony of them buying their first record in a shop.Ā 

Edited by Rabshakeh

I remember actual enclosed booths that were so small that
two people couldn't turn around in them. No chairs, so you
wouldn't get too comfy. I was trying to remember if there
were listening stations at Rose Records - Chuck'll have to
remind me. Hegewisch Records? Maybe.

HenzeĀ turned up full blast in a store actually excites me!

I'll add: the reason we don't have nice things like listening
stations and the like is for pretty much one reason: people.

Edited by rostasi