Irène Schweizer (1941-2024)

colinmce

One of my favorite musicians. A trailblazer and truly a great master of this music. She leaves behind an astounding legacy, least of all as a co-founder of the ever strong Intakt label. 

RIP with gratitude. 

Sorry to hear this. I love her playing. Not only was she a great improviser in a vacuum, but she helped to establish the vernacular of piano playing in free music. I'd be hard pressed to find another player of her generation who was so deft at integrating into so many different stylistic environments.

Her duo records are incredible, especially the recital with Louis Moholo-Moholo. That album should be required listening for anyone who wishes to understand how traditionalist idiomatic conceits can coexist with total free improvisation. They play a ton of tunes, but the composed content never gets in the way of the abstraction (and vice versa). You have to cherish the masters while they're still around. 

Irene's duos with Bennink, Cyrille, Favre, Crispell, Kowald & Moholo were superb & Les Diaboliques trio with Joelle Leandre & Maggie Nichols was a fav.

Early material with the Manfred Schoof Orchestra & later the LJCO saw her in a larger context.

She even played with Henry Cow in the late 70s

RIP Irene, will miss you

Just had a bout with the grim reaper myself ... and the news of Schweizer's passing really had me weep. I've heard her at least a dozen times, mostly solo and duo (Favre, Moholo, Baron included), saw her at many, many concerts (a rare trait among musicians!) and 20+ years ago spent a couple of hours at her kitchen table, discussing her work and Swiss/European free music as part of an Intakt portrait a friend and myself produced for a small local radio. Fondest memories!