Smoke, Jazz Club.

It is a great club to catch a show but since the renovation, it has gotten very expensive. Post-renovation, they've re-dubbed themselves as a "supper club" and they require each patron to order an entree. A cheeseburger is one of their cheaper entrees at $32. This entree requirement is even in effect for the 9:00 shows, which really doesn't work for me. I can't eat that late at night or I don't sleep well.

BTW, I looked into going to one of those Branford Marsalis shows but the tickets are $125/person. So if I wanted to bring my wife for a set, I am looking at ~$400 for one set. That's just too much.

But, to be honest, as expensive as Smoke has become, I live near an even more expensive Jazz club in Portsmouth, NH - Jimmy's Jazz & Blues Club. Maybe expensive Jazz clubs is a new thing? :)

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

I guess those outrageous prices are needed to cover the rent and the musician fees.  If the family home in CT were still ours, I still wouldn't be going to Smoke, I don't think.

Funny that he mentions the West End Gate ... I guess he moved there in the brief time that it existed.  Of course, it was the West End for 20+ years before that, The Uptown Home For Swing run by Phil Schaap.

53 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

BTW, I looked into going to one of those Branford Marsalis shows but the tickets are $125/person. So if I wanted to bring my wife for a set, I am looking at ~$400 for one set. That's just too much.

Yikes - that is steep. Having said that, I am unfamiliar with US club prices these days.

I've just advance booked a 2025 3-day weekend festival at £135, which must make it a bargain.

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I looked into going to one of those Branford Marsalis shows but the tickets are $125/person. So if I wanted to bring my wife for a set, I am looking at ~$400 for one set.

Wow. No way could I go for that either. Sorry Branford. 

I was there a few months ago and like the above comments noted it’s small which is good for the listener but expensive for the food. You’re better off eating elsewhere and then spending the money at Smoke on drinks and what not. 

9 hours ago, Brad said:

I was there a few months ago and like the above comments noted it’s small which is good for the listener but expensive for the food. You’re better off eating elsewhere and then spending the money at Smoke on drinks and what not. 

In effect paying twice for dinner, if you eat elsewhere and are obligated to buy an entree during the set?

9 hours ago, Brad said:

I used to do that when I went to Smoke but since they became a "Supper Club", you have to buy an entree at the 7:00 or 9:00 sets. Apparently, some artists do a 10:30 set that doesn't require the purchase of an entree but Branford Marsalis isn't doing a 10:30 set.

8 hours ago, Brad said:

It was my understanding, perhaps erroneous, that you just had to spend a certain amount in food and drink. The person seated opposite me was spare in what he purchased. 

When you go to check out, you have to check a box agreeing to this...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I agree to the following policy
DINNER POLICY: I understand that all 7 p.m. & 9 p.m. shows at Smoke are dinner shows. Dinner shows require a minimum purchase of at least one entree per person, which will be billed to me at the end of the performance. Each ticket is valid for one show only. All attendees must exit promptly upon the conclusion of the music set.

I acknowledge that the minimum purchase during 10:30 p.m. sets is $20 per person.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• 1 month later...

This club is very expensive. A Cheeseburger is $32, but it doesn’t come with fries, that’s extra. If you want to order fries it’s an additional $12. The person at the table next to ordered fries with meal. If there’s 12 to 15 fires that’s a lot. 

I used to work a blues/dance gig that had a dude named Bobo who would hook you up with the biggest, fattest, juiciest cheeseburger (fully dressed) in the history of the world for a five dollar bill. Straight off the flattop.

7 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

This club is very expensive. A Cheeseburger is $32, but it doesn’t come with fries, that’s extra. If you want to order fries it’s an additional $12. The person at the table next to ordered fries with meal. If there’s 12 to 15 fires that’s a lot. 

Prohibitive prices to say the least ....

I haven’t been to Smoke since the renovation, but their seating capacity can’t be anywhere near what some other clubs have, like Dizzy’s, or had, like the Jazz Standard or Zinno. The sight lines are far better than the uncomfortable, narrow layout of the Blue Note.

13 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

Is it a must you have to eat ? 
And if yes, do they have also vegan food, because if I´d ever go to NY I don´t want to eat Steaks or Barbecue or Cheeseburger, just greens and salad. Let´s say I would try Collard Greens and Black Eyed Peas if that is just vegetable, but not for meat. 
I have the same problems here in Viena sometimes. There is a club they only have sausage or toast (which is with ham or with cheese) and if I play there I always have to order from around the corner from a restaurant where they have vegan....., 

51 minutes ago, Niko said:

https://smokejazz.com/food-menu/

No vegetarian main courses it seems but you will find ways to spend your money without buying meat

The mushroom ragout and Provencal ratatouille are labeled as "VG=vegetarian" and look vegetarian to me. Of course there are salads. [I'm vegetarian.] Plus some fish dishes. Vegans might have problems because the only 2 vegan options are appetisers: a salad and focaccia. Perhaps the kitchen could be requested to "hold the cheese" on some items.

No bargains, and it depends on the portion size, but the rest of the menu doesn't look as absurd as the $32 burger. Perhaps that price is due to it using Wagyu beef?

Also depends on the quality of the food. $30ish entrees are probably not unusual in decent Manhattan restaurants. The printed menu looks a little pretentious, so maybe Smoke tout their culinary prowess.

Not that I'll be there anytime soon...

Edited by T.D.

There are six Vegan or Vegetarian items on the menu (marked with a V or VG).

The food is actually pretty good.

I've been there three times and really enjoyed the music (Ben Allison, Billy Harper, and Charles McPherson).