Remembering Alan Dawson on His 95th Birthday

Drummer and vibraphonist Alan Dawson had a lengthy resume during his long career in addition to heading the jazz department at the New England Conservatory. I produced a show surveying his appearances, including Japanese , European and US release, many out of print, led by Jaki Byard, Clifford Brown, Dave Brubeck, Booker Ervin, Terry Gibbs, the Great Jazz Quartet, Adam Makowicz, Chuck Florence, Charles McPherson, Ken Peplowski and Phil Woods. I have also included three tracks from his only slo CD as a leader, Waltzin' With Flo.

Streaming at 3 PM EDT this Sunday at wutc.org, or available to stream or download at: 

https://archive.org/details/timeless-jazz-7-14-2024-alan-dawson

Edited by Ken Dryden

I never got to see Alan Dawson in person, but he is well represented in my collection. You'll find that he was a talented vibraphonist, though he recorded infrequently on the instrument. Three of the tracks on his only CD as a leader feature him on vibes.

I saw Alan play lots of times in Boston.  He was the first call drummer for visiting out of towners.  In all those times, he never played vibes (but I know that he did record on them on at least a few occasions.  

Definitely a part of the Boston Drumming School, which includes a.a Roy Haynes, Tony Williams, Terri Lyne Carrington...crisp tunings, tight stick control, real chatterers, always contributing to the conversation.