Bob Dylan & The Band - The 1974 Live Recordings (27 CD set) coming September 20

felser

Massive 27 CD set on Columbia.  $130 pre-order on Amazon, may be cheaper on the ImportCDs/DeepDiscount/CCMusic family of sites once they list it.  At under $5/disc  I'm in, for old-times sake if nothing else.

image.jpeg.1d712bfa62ce3a8a7a29b38339745c5e.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Yeah, 27 discs is way too much of a sort of OK thing. 

If they condense it into 80 minutes of the best - or even two discs worth? - I might.

Just stick with this then:

image.jpeg.c8bca1f1568f129948fe878368f85762.jpeg

image.jpeg.6c9a0463390d6f329eea009fc3847241.jpeg

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

They should just call releases like this, “Gotta Claim The Copyright”. 😀😀

Well this is far more produced and distributed than their real Dylan copyright dump releases.

And. . . there are those who are going to complain because it is far from EVERYTHING. 

The main thing I remember about that show is Bill Graham turning the lights up on

"But even the president of the United States/
Sometimes must have to stand naked".

Edited by medjuck

22 hours ago, felser said:

Just stick with this then:

image.jpeg.c8bca1f1568f129948fe878368f85762.jpeg

image.jpeg.6c9a0463390d6f329eea009fc3847241.jpeg

If you're already a fan of Bob, he's in very strong form here. I'm very curious about this massive box set and while the price per disc is very cheap, I don't know how often I would listen to something like this even being a big fan. Somewhere I thought there was going to be a 3 disc set highlighting some of these performances. That might be more realistic to many including myself.

17 hours ago, mjzee said:

I have no interest in this box.  BTF was never one of my favorites.

I love everything Dylan has done, but yes this has always been my least favorite. The arrangements and playing are too muscular and lack character. I almost sense that he didn't know what he was doing yet. The process of radical refinement would begin with Rolling Thunder and continue to the present day, but this tour has always just sounded like overkill to me.

Sounds like a lot of cocaine to me. But. . . I've enjoyed the official release since it was released and a few bootlegs along the way. The Rolling Thunder stuff that followed has always been my leas favorite.

10 hours ago, medjuck said:

I bought the box set of all the British '66 tour. All the shows sounded the same to me.  All you you need is the Manchester show. 

I picked it up primarily for the 4 discs from the Australian leg of the tour - the box was relatively cheap here considering it was a 36CD set

I would have been interested, except for the fact that they are NOT including ANY of The Band ONLY material from these concerts. Probably an issue of the estates giving permission? I would always be open to purchasing unreleased material from The Band in the future...

From the link above, it mentions that The Band had Solo sets during the concerts. That's what got me excited until I found out that they would not be included. ☹️

On 7/15/2024 at 9:00 AM, jazzkrow said:

I would have been interested, except for the fact that they are NOT including ANY of The Band ONLY material from these concerts. Probably an issue of the estates giving permission? I would always be open to purchasing unreleased material from The Band in the future...

From the link above, it mentions that The Band had Solo sets during the concerts. That's what got me excited until I found out that they would not be included. ☹️

I love The Band, but I would honestly wonder how much they really varied their setlist and performances. I think it would be even bigger overkill than with the Dylan material. 

I expect this will be better than the 1966 box. But it seems to me that these releases are really about protecting copyright. I wish they would do a really high-quality release of the best concerts from the tour (longer than 2 discs, please). I really enjoyed the Complete Budokan four-disc set that was released last year.