What Blues / R & B / Soul or other Black Music are you listening to right now?

No jazz, classical, Latin, or rock - I thought this deserves its own thread, as I had very mixed feeling in posting this in the "rock"listening thread:

Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

French release, AFAIK the only complete Donny Hathaway box set. I wonder why Rhino never issued such a set.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2243677-Donny-Hathaway-Someday-Well-All-Be-Free

p.s. Just saw they did it in Japan, but why not the USA?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Could we perhaps change the thread title of the rock thread to "non-jazz non-classical"? Otherwise I can foresee endless proliferation.

Agree .... even more as we also have individual "Recommendation" threads for Soul, Funk, Blues, Gospel .... and even 🤡Salsa🤡 ....

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Very much in the sweet spot.

Yes it is. I bought this album after hearing a tune on the radio and have not been disappointed. I have subsequently been investigating his other albums but none seem to stand up to this one. Any suggestions gratefully received.

15 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Yes it is. I bought this album after hearing a tune on the radio and have not been disappointed. I have subsequently been investigating his other albums but none seem to stand up to this one. Any suggestions gratefully received.

I meant more in terms of genre. I don't know any other Little Milton records except for the pretty good Grits.

That blues / soul crossover moment is a sweet spot for me. Obviously Bobby Blue rules the roost there, but I love a record like Otis Cray's Trying To Live My Life Without You. 

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Albert Washington "Sad And Lonely" (Eastbound Records) 1973 .... satisfying Blues/Soul Crossover recorded @ Memphis ....

I meant more in terms of genre. I don't know any other Little Milton records except for the pretty good Grits.

That blues / soul crossover moment is a sweet spot for me. Obviously Bobby Blue rules the roost there, but I love a record like Otis Cray's Trying To Live My Life Without You. 

Thanks

35 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Albert Washington "Sad And Lonely" (Eastbound Records) 1973 .... satisfying Blues/Soul Crossover recorded @ Memphis ....

Thank you

11 minutes ago, soulpope said:

I'm in general not so fond of Blues/Soul Crossover (do prefer either/or) .... btw another exception to my rule is Mighty Sam McLain "Give It Up To Love" (Audioquest) 1993 .... big voiced offering ....

Streaming this now, lovely.  

I need some Soul with my Blues, I struggle with it undiluted. But this is just the mix I'm looking for. I realise that after all my years of listening to and loving (earlier) Van Morrison I want to hear the source. 

As you've mentioned Bobby Blue Bland his "Years Of Tears" release for Malaco Records from 1993 is superb ....

15 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Streaming this now, lovely.  

I need some Soul with my Blues, I struggle with it undiluted. But this is just the mix I'm looking for. I realise that after all my years of listening to and loving (earlier) Van Morrison I want to hear the source. 

You should also look for Geater Davis ....  the Westside compi "Sadder Shades Of Blue" (collecting his 60''/early 70's sides for Seventy 7, Luna and Ace comes highly recommended ....