BFT244 (July, 2024)

tkeith

3 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

Nobody else hears background vocals about 3 minutes into #11?

If you're talking about the swell behind the bari, I hear horns (which matches the personnel list).  I will say, I have seen this band in person and anything is possible.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I've noticed whenever I'm able to find time to participate in a BFT: back when this all began, I was still very much getting into jazz and listening to it constantly and learning voices and sounds from various artists. 20 years later that isn't so much the case anymore and now these become exercises in seeing if I recognize anything from my collection. This explains why so many of the following answers are along the lines of "no idea but I like it" because for the most part I REALLY like this BFT! Then again, maybe I've always been doing this wrong! :g

Track 1: Joshua Redman, something from Wish? That sure sounds like Metheny on guitar. Been so long since I listened to that album. If I'm wrong, I'm gonna find this album pronto.

Track 2: Beautiful! No idea who this is and I can't wait to find out!

Track 3: WOW!!! THIS is my kinda groove! Is it Trombone Shorty by chance? Sounds like a good New Orleans groove to me!

Track 4: This sounds oddly familiar, maybe it just reminds me of something else. I sure do like it though!

Track 5: Track 2 from this groovy album! Has this happened before where the same track is used on two different BFT's? This was previously featured on BFT 28. That BFT was one for the ages and I'm pretty sure I still have it, I'll have to get a copy to our host for the archive. I mean, check out this BFT, it's that good!

Track 6: No idea but I like it!

Track 7: Same

Track 8: Well, it's a tenor-sax trio which I like but it sounds like the tenor is on the side of the room. Oh there's a piano after all. Never mind me, I wasn't paying too close attention to this one.

Track 9: Nope. Nope. Nope. Don't know, don't care. NEXT!

Track 10: No idea and I don't even know what to make of this. This sounds like one of those groups that everyone except me gets or understands.

Track 11: Oh I dig this late-night groove. Bari sax with guitar-trio rhythm. Love it! Perfect way to cap this BFT! Or so I thought: I posted this guess before the song ended, not noticing I still had a whole five more minutes to go. I still have no idea who this is, though, but as usual I dig it!

Edited by Big Al
Update to commentary on track 5

6 hours ago, Big Al said:

Something I've noticed whenever I'm able to find time to participate in a BFT: back when this all began, I was still very much getting into jazz and listening to it constantly and learning voices and sounds from various artists. 20 years later that isn't so much the case anymore and now these become exercises in seeing if I recognize anything from my collection. This explains why so many of the following answers are along the lines of "no idea but I like it" because for the most part I REALLY like this BFT! Then again, maybe I've always been doing this wrong! :g

Firm believer there is no wrong way to do a BFT!  :D  Glad you enjoyed.  Along the lines of what you said above about "learning voices," there's a scene in the movie The Talented Mr. Ripley, where Matt Damon's character is trying to assimilate the lifestyle of Jude Law's character.  He buys a bunch of Jazz albums and is listening to them repeatedly as he goes about his day (ironing, cooking, etc.), and at one point, I believe he's ironing, and he looks up suddenly at the record player and says, "That's Charlie Parker."  I've always loved that moment.

Track 1: Joshua Redman, something from Wish? That sure sounds like Metheny on guitar. Been so long since I listened to that album. If I'm wrong, I'm gonna find this album pronto.

Neither guy, though I think the guitarist certainly owes a huge nod to Metheny.  Tenor player is a bit older than Josh and a lot less well known.

Track 2: Beautiful! No idea who this is and I can't wait to find out!

Glad you enjoyed it.  This one may or may not surprise people with the reveal.  Again, lesser known tenor player who is still active.

Track 3: WOW!!! THIS is my kinda groove! Is it Trombone Shorty by chance? Sounds like a good New Orleans groove to me!
Not Trombone Shorty.  I'm comfortable saying TS would pay a huge nod to this player, who is very well known.

Track 4: This sounds oddly familiar, maybe it just reminds me of something else. I sure do like it though!

Maybe it does remind you of something else.  Given comments above, the tune my ring bells.  The tenor player might also have the same affect.

Track 5: Track 2 from this groovy album! Has this happened before where the same track is used on two different BFT's? This was previously featured on BFT 28. That BFT was one for the ages and I'm pretty sure I still have it, I'll have to get a copy to our host for the archive. I mean, check out this BFT, it's that good!

Dang!  You are correct, but my reaction is for the repeat.  I actually search the entire thread for every tune in an attempt to NOT repeat, but to be fair, forum search engines kinda suck.  And, yes, it has happened that tunes appear more than once, sometimes within a couple of months.  Again, I really try to avoid this (and did, here), but it happens... damn it.

Track 6: No idea but I like it!
The  good news:  You're alive.  If you didn't like it, I'd question that.  :D

Track 7: Same
The artist has been identified, but not the recording.

Track 8: Well, it's a tenor-sax trio which I like but it sounds like the tenor is on the side of the room. Oh there's a piano after all. Never mind me, I wasn't paying too close attention to this one.
The reveal on this one is going to be interesting.  Player has been ID'd, but not the recording.  The theme here seems to be backstory, and this track has one.

Track 9: Nope. Nope. Nope. Don't know, don't care. NEXT!
Sorry this one missed.  I don't want to say too much on this one, but for those for whom this clicks, I highly recommend the album.  For those for whom it does not, well, I saved you a few bucks.  :D

Track 10: No idea and I don't even know what to make of this. This sounds like one of those groups that everyone except me gets or understands.
The artist has been ID'd (and once you hear him and learn the name, it's almost impossible to NOT recognize him, like it or not).  I was unaware this was a cover when I selected it.  One response was "he likes singing," which is apparent.  That's kind of what got it on the list.  I'm not even sure I like it, but he's most certainly coming from a place that he is feeling.

Track 11: Oh I dig this late-night groove. Bari sax with guitar-trio rhythm. Love it! Perfect way to cap this BFT! Or so I thought: I posted this guess before the song ended, not noticing I still had a whole five more minutes to go. I still have no idea who this is, though, but as usual I dig it!

I'm a bit surprised nobody has figured out the bari player.  There is a definite connection in these parts, but maybe I'm just projecting my small corner of the universe.  Glad you found some things to perk your ears.

OK, typing as I listen so not a great deal of thought just immediate impressions and I haven't read the thread.

track 1.  The way the bass is prominent in the mix leads me to suspect it's the bassist's date. I'm not a great fan of guitar and this guitarist is really not doing it for me at all and therefore the solo outstays its welcome for me. I'm wondering if it's Abercrombie. Which leads me onto thinking this could be a 80s ECM date, DeJohnette on drums? No idea who the horn player could be, not overly distinctive on this

track 2.  This is nice, liking the pianist and the tune, the horn playing too. All fits very nicely together. Sounds like Young Lions generation a bit older.

track 3. Intrigued from the off, is that a pizzicato cello? Great rhythm. Trumpet entry is making me think of a Graham Haynes project but not when the ensemble joins which makes me think of those Peter Apfelbaum albums in the 90s. Definitely want to know what this is, best track so far, very nice

track 4. gets interesting with the sax solo but I'm not sure the composition is strong enough beyond the soloing. I'll be interested to know who the tenor player is. track is too long for me

track 5. Yes, from the off, great groove, all playing in service of that groove. I'm thinking Curtis Counce but am prepared to be way off and embarrassed at the reveal. Short and to the point. Spot on

track 6. I mean you just can't argue with this, can you? You'd need to be dead not to tap along. Plug me into this on the days I don't want to get up for work please. No idea who it is but I know it'll be a name I know if not their music as it sounds like a master.

track 7. This sounds very familiar I feel I may have heard it before or at least the band. More prominent bass driving the whole thing. I like this a lot and moreso as it progresses, each solo is strong. Wish I'd been in the audience for this. 

track 8. Like the drummer, bassist is playing a bit too much for me. Can't make my mind up about the tenor. I prefer it when it's the piano trio I think. there's something Motian-esque about it. I'll be interested to know who the players are 

track 9. Best track so far, love that folk-ish drone and dirge. This is making making me think of early Garbarek, Vesala and all the Nordic players I love. But I don't think I know who it is which is great as I'll have something else to buy come reveal (unless it's THAT one in a BFT that I already own). I'm now thinking Charles Brackeen/Denis Gonzalez on Silkheart but I'm not sure it is. Just a superb track, worth the entry price alone. can you reveal this early please 😄

track 10. Dwight Trible so it's guaranteed a winner for me. Love it, love it, love it. I definitely have this album, it's cosmic.

track 11. Nice come down. I realise I don't know many bari players beyond a couple so no idea who's playing here. The trombone solo is stellar. I could quite happily relax into this regularly. I'm hoping the album doesn't divert too drastically from this track.

A really enjoyable hour's listen. A couple of real winners for me one of which I own the other I shall do come reveal. At least three others that I'm very intrigued by. 

Edited by mjazzg

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

OK, typing as I listen so not a great deal of thought just immediate impressions and I haven't read the thread.

That's the way to do them, IMHO. 

Note:  Using bold green text is not an option now in my responses -- I'm forcing the issue by copy/pasting the format from prior posts.  Any clue what gives?

track 1.  The way the bass is prominent in the mix leads me to suspect it's the bassist's date. I'm not a great fan of guitar and this guitarist is really not doing it for me at all and therefore the solo outstays its welcome for me. I'm wondering if it's Abercrombie. Which leads me onto thinking this could be a 80s ECM date, DeJohnette on drums? No idea who the horn player could be, not overly distinctive on this
Not Abercrombie, but he appears elsewhere on the album.  Not jack.  Guitarist is probably most well known guy on this cut, but it's tenor's date.  Tenor player is known in music circles, but less as a performer.  [STRONG hint]

track 2.  This is nice, liking the pianist and the tune, the horn playing too. All fits very nicely together. Sounds like Young Lions generation a bit older.
Very good description.  I'll be surprised if anyone gets the tenor player, though he IS known at least on a regional basis.

track 3. Intrigued from the off, is that a pizzicato cello? Great rhythm. Trumpet entry is making me think of a Graham Haynes project but not when the ensemble joins which makes me think of those Peter Apfelbaum albums in the 90s. Definitely want to know what this is, best track so far, very nice
Your ears are in the right neighborhood.  I chose this cut for the 'bone player.  Most of what the leader does is not like this, but something about this record grabbed me.

track 4. gets interesting with the sax solo but I'm not sure the composition is strong enough beyond the soloing. I'll be interested to know who the tenor player is. track is too long for me
There is an interesting surprise with this tenor player coming in the reveal.  Oddly, the tune is by a much more well-known musician.

track 5. Yes, from the off, great groove, all playing in service of that groove. I'm thinking Curtis Counce but am prepared to be way off and embarrassed at the reveal. Short and to the point. Spot on
I wouldn't say WAY off.  Track has been ID'd.

track 6. I mean you just can't argue with this, can you? You'd need to be dead not to tap along. Plug me into this on the days I don't want to get up for work please. No idea who it is but I know it'll be a name I know if not their music as it sounds like a master.
You're not wrong.  In fact, you're SPOT on.  ID'd.

track 7. This sounds very familiar I feel I may have heard it before or at least the band. More prominent bass driving the whole thing. I like this a lot and moreso as it progresses, each solo is strong. Wish I'd been in the audience for this. 
Band ID'd by JSngry.  A Detroit band very familiar in these parts.  Album NOT ID'd. 

track 8. Like the drummer, bassist is playing a bit too much for me. Can't make my mind up about the tenor. I prefer it when it's the piano trio I think. there's something Motian-esque about it. I'll be interested to know who the players are 
ID'd by JSngry.  Very well known player.  There are surprises in this one, too (backstory).

track 9. Best track so far, love that folk-ish drone and dirge. This is making making me think of early Garbarek, Vesala and all the Nordic players I love. But I don't think I know who it is which is great as I'll have something else to buy come reveal (unless it's THAT one in a BFT that I already own). I'm now thinking Charles Brackeen/Denis Gonzalez on Silkheart but I'm not sure it is. Just a superb track, worth the entry price alone. can you reveal this early please 😄
Love the comp, but not them.  This guy is a younger player (tenor), and REALLY coming into his own.  Rubs some very nice elbows.

track 10. Dwight Trible so it's guaranteed a winner for me. Love it, love it, love it. I definitely have this album, it's cosmic.
Correct!  As I've said a couple of times in this thread, once you are introduced to Trible by name, you can't NOT recognize him, regardless of whether or not he's your cup of tea.  I'm not even sure this track is in the "like" column for me, but Dwight sure as hell means it.

track 11. Nice come down. I realise I don't know many bari players beyond a couple so no idea who's playing here. The trombone solo is stellar. I could quite happily relax into this regularly. I'm hoping the album doesn't divert too drastically from this track.
Yes and no.  Bari is fairly well known as a composer.  I like his tenor work the best, but he plays the big guy most prominently.  There is an epic backstory to this.

A really enjoyable hour's listen. A couple of real winners for me one of which I own the other I shall do come reveal. At least three others that I'm very intrigued by. 

Glad it worked for you.  I'll be really intrigued by people's reaction to the reveal.

17 hours ago, randyhersom said:

Rodrigo Amado on 9?

No, sir, but a fair comp. 

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I was wondering about Brandon Lewis, it's not like anything I've heard him play style -wise but I've not been keeping up and he kind of fits tkeith's hint.

CORRECT, sir!

Just now, mjazzg said:

Wow, in which case I'm even more intrigued by which album it is as on the strength of that one tune i definitely need it!

That would be my vote.  I'd like to say more, and will by month's end, but for now, I'll leave people to sleuth it out if so desired.

4 minutes ago, tkeith said:

That would be my vote.  I'd like to say more, and will by month's end, but for now, I'll leave people to sleuth it out if so desired.

Happy to wait, patience is a virtue they tell me...

On 7/10/2024 at 11:02 AM, mjazzg said:

👍

Sorry couldn't wait, who needs virtue

It's track 5 from this For Mahalia, With Love | James Brandon Lewis / Red Lily Quintet | James Brandon Lewis (bandcamp.com)

Correct, sir!  (sorry, got now update about this post and just saw it).

At the soft mid-ish month point, figured I'd do an update:

5 ID'd by Dan Gould 6 ID'd by Dan Gould
7 ID'd as The Tribe (JSngry), but nothing further.
8 ID'd as Dewey (JSngry), but nothing further.
9 ID'd by mjazzg
10 ID'd as Dwight Trible (Randy Hersom) from the album Cosmic (mjazzg)

So here are a few hints:  I'm not surprised that 1-4, 11 have not been ID'd, as they will be exceedingly difficult.

7 minutes ago, tkeith said:

So here are a few hints:  I'm not surprised that 1-4, 11 have not been ID'd, as they will be exceedingly difficult.

Those are not hints, they are passive/aggressive taunts.

3 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

Is 11 a selfie?

Nay, sir.  I do not appear anywhere on this test, but I take that as a HUGE compliment as this player has appeared in multiple Down Beat polls (another HUGE hint).

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Those are not hints, they are passive/aggressive taunts.

You say "potato," I say "no thanks, I'll have the rice."

3 hours ago, tkeith said:

Correct, sir!  (sorry, got now update about this post and just saw it).

Album.now in the post due to arrive tomorrow. So much for patience! Thank you for introducing me to it. Irony is I have the first Red Lily album but kind of gave up listening to JBL at that point only because there seemed to be lots coming out (David Murray 90s syndrome)

Edited by mjazzg

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Album.now in the post due to arrive tomorrow. So much for patience! Thank you for introducing me to it. Irony is I have the first Red Lily album but kind of gave up listening to JBL at that point only because there seemed to be lots coming out (David Murray 90s syndrome)

Gotta fill the plate where and when you can, man.