BFT244 (July, 2024)

tkeith

22 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Damn. As I suspected, I do own it, and it's from my favorite album by the leader. But drew a blank on the ID. 🤣😶

It happens, man.  No shade.

3 minutes ago, felser said:

I also own it!

BTW, Thom, I'm (seriously) totally mesmerized by all the deep back stories you refer to on these cuts.  So looking forward to the reveal, only 29 days to go!

Hey, they may only be deep to me.  :D

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Again by track time, is #6 B1 from this?

And has that LP really never been issued on CD?

Missed this post, Dan, sorry.  Yes, this is the album and that is the correct track.

39 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

Jazz Crusaders on 7?

No, sir.  A bit later and, I'd argue, a bit edgier.

22 minutes ago, tkeith said:

Missed this post, Dan, sorry.  Yes, this is the album and that is the correct track.

Well I think that's a first for me to figure out two in a single month.  And the best tracks too. I should ignore this thread until the reveal (and these backstories you've built up so much) but like the man said ....

46 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Placing a pre-order from Thom for the backstory on what turned him into such a passionate Buddy Tate fan!

The record with Warren Vaché when I was a kid.  Still my favorite version of On Green Dolphin Street.  My father was certainly a BT fan, and it was common ground (a lot of places weren't when I first got into the music).

6 minutes ago, tkeith said:

The record with Warren Vaché when I was a kid.  Still my favorite version of On Green Dolphin Street.  My father was certainly a BT fan, and it was common ground (a lot of places weren't when I first got into the music).

What was that a Concord recording? Or Progressive?

5 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

What was that a Concord recording? Or Progressive?

Not certain.  Sadly, I sold it years ago.  But sound-wise, could be either.

4 hours ago, randyhersom said:

Your response to Felser on 7 has me thinking the group has their collective name and no single name is the name artist for their records.  Which is what led me to the Jazz Crusaders and now to ...  The Roots.

Nay... but I like your logic!  ;)

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

If I noted that the Strata part of Strata-East actually originated in Detroit, would I be heading in the correct direction?

My dude, you're going to set off the smoke alarm.

50 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I have a few records on the Tribe label by individuals, but don't think I have any by the group proper.

I liked that cut!

Same here on all counts, I think.  I might have 'Message From The Tribe' filed under Harrison or Ranelin, have to check.  I love the Marcus Belgrave album on the Tribe label.  When I was in college in the mid-70's, a guy dropped a bunch of Tribe albums at Houston Hall Records on campus (where I hung out for hours every week) for them to sell on consignment.  He never showed up to take them back, so the store sold them to me for like $1 each.  If I had held onto those into the internet age, I'd be a rich man today!

7 hours ago, tkeith said:

I can totally relate. My musical relationship with my dad kinda flowed the other way, he liked calm music, I liked energy. He didn't really like "jazz" as I knew it But he did take me to see Basie when I was 15! 

Anyway, the older I got, the more I would have him asking me to make tapes of that "smooth" stuff, which meant a lot of Ben, Turrentine, the proverbial "ballads and blues". He loved Blue Hour.

It was really meaningful to find that coming ground in his last years. A lot of times, common ground is never found. I feel blessed that we did 

7 hours ago, tkeith said:

That's the album.  Though, I'm going to walk that back a step -- coming home last night, Miles' version with the sextet came on... it's awfully hard to beat that one.

Well in addition to puzzling out two answers, you've inspired two purchases - the 3 LPs on 2 CDs Swingsville Tate dates that Jim mentioned above, and I also found a cheap copy of the Tate Concord LP. That's also a record for a BFT.

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Well in addition to puzzling out two answers, you've inspired two purchases - the 3 LPs on 2 CDs Swingsville Tate dates that Jim mentioned above, and I also found a cheap copy of the Tate Concord LP. That's also a record for a BFT.

That's the thing about a good BFT - it ends up costing me money!