Your favourite Bluegrass LPs

I find contemporary bluegrass to be mechanical and repetitive - too many of the same old patterns.

When I want to listen to bluegrass it's almost always from the 1940s and 1950s, when it still had an edge.

And I love the original Bill Monroe recordings from around 1940, which to me are the country equivalent of Bird's early records.

Edited by AllenLowe

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

OS0xMzkyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Mi00NjExLmpwZWc.jpeg

NC04OTU2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Ny0xODE2LmpwZWc.jpeg

NS05Nzk4LmpwZWc.jpeg

NS0yNTUxLmpwZWc.jpeg

I got to see the David Grisman Quintet twice in concert, Tony Rice with Norman Blake twice and Mark O'Connor three times, once solo and the other two times with his Hot Swing Trio.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

I find contemporary bluegrass to be mechanical and repetitive - too many of the same old patterns.

When I want to listen to bluegrass it's almost always from the 1940s and 1950s, when it still had an edge.

And I love the original Bill Monroe recordings from around 1940, which to me are the country equivalent of Bird's early records.

This is something we discussed last time round too (can't recall what the thread was). Purist bluegrass can easily be formulaic and generally requires "blues feeling". Early Bill Monroe obviously has it, as you say, and the earliest Stanley Brothers too, particularly those that John Fahey's Revenant label compiled a few years back:

Stanley Brothers – Earliest Recordings: The Complete Rich-R-Tone 78s (1947-1952)

R-1169080-1197831094.jpg.ca7c99205b832eeb429a2c6e2a3c7038.jpg

That said, I do think that bluegrass is quite flexible, and lends itself well to fusion approaches, so I don't tend to think of it as only being confined to Monroe and the Stanleys.

Edited by Rabshakeh