Walking into a Used LP Store, Knowing You're Going to Find a Certain LP

Teasing the Korean

Has this happened to you?  It happened to me at least twice, in two different cities, a few years before the pandemic.

1.  Dusty Groove (Chicago) - I walked in, and I had a feeling that I would find Paul Horn's Cleopatra album on Columbia.  I go to the Paul Horn section, and...it's not there.  I continue browsing through the store, and at the very end, I look through the new arrivals, and lo and behold, there is a pristine mono copy of Cleopatra.

2.  Philadelphia Record Exchange - I walked in, and was sure that I would find a copy of Erroll Garner's Other Voices. The Erroll Garner section was particularly fat, and I had several copies to choose from.  I grabbed the mono 6-eye original.  

The funny thing about both of these situations was that I was not specifically looking for either of these LPs.

I distinctly remember I've had such premonitions, though I for the most part cannot recall which ones they exactly were about. However, as far as I recall these "hunches" were not so much about records that I wasn't particularly looking for but rather about records that I had been looking for either for quite a while or for special reasons and somehow felt "the time is rife for a copy to pop up". And sho'nuff, that's what happened. :D

About the only occasion like that where I do remember the details (this occurred last December) was the Lionel Hampton sessions with Mezz Mezzrow of November 1953. One day I read a review of a 12" LP featuring all the tracks from that session, and upon checking my shelves I found I "only" had a 50s original 10" with part of the tracks, and started wondering "How come the others escaped me through the decades?"
And then, a couple of days later somehow a distinct feeling grabbed me that "the next time I'll stop by my #1 local record shop I'll find a copy there".  For no particular reason because I had not checked the Hampton bins for ages. And indeed - there were two copies of a 70s Barclay reissue twofer that included ALL the music - both in great condition and nicely priced - one priced even nicer than the other :D so that's the one i took home.

It’s mostly the other way around. I’m hoping to find a certain record but I’m not finding it. Worst experience was Berlin where I visited 10 record stores with a 60 item wishlist and didn’t find a single one of them…. Well I found one which after all appeared to be a bootleg version. 

my last visit to de mega lp cd fair in Den Bosch was more successful. With a more humble wishlist of 30 items I managed to find 9 of the items on it.